Requirements Help

Requirements Help

by Michael Freedman -
Number of replies: 8

Hi - we are loading moodle for a pilot program to replace Canvas.  My developer, who has some moodle experience, says he does not have the skills to address the requirements we are developing.  So, I am looking for someone to help us validate our intentions, create and format requirements, validate these requirements, then - if all goes well - build against the requirements. 

In brief, we are looking to develop autonomous learning communities - so, I think that means distributed and uncoupled program types (courses, forums, workshops) that can stand alone or be configured in association with other program types.  We are also will focus on a mobile-facing interface.

Thanks, Michael

The Public Square Academy

California, US

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Freedman

Re: Requirements Help

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Have you considered reaching out to MoodleUS? They should have the consultancy and support capabilities you're looking for, as they are certified Moodle Partner over there.
Average of ratings: Very cool (2)

by Marie Achour -
Picture of Moodle HQ
Hi Michael - thank you for your query.

Our Moodle team in the US should be able to help you so I've passed your message on to them and you should hear from Justin Williams at some point today (if you haven't already).

I hope this helps!
Marie
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Also, just bear in mind that this comunity here has been an autonomous learning community, teaching each other about Moodle, for over 20 years! So, perfectly doable with out-of-the-box Moodle features. smile
Average of ratings: Very cool (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Freedman -
Thanks, Tim... I'm excited to be a part of this, though a little concerned that as I am not a developer, I might get over my head.

Our member focus is on relationships to build trust and courage for personal and perspective growth, so the model uses personalized, small groups, etc. I've been using Canvas for years, with the position that the tech should be in the background. They offer a world-class rock solid tool at a very reasonable price. They deal with development and support so I don't have to.

We've received feedback that Canvas looks too 'academic,' not sexy. We have seen some limitations with discussions and mobile. My new thinking is that if we can get moodle to really align with our design values and goals, 1) it can be a better user experience, and 2) provides incentives for partners and investors.

Looking forward to the journey....

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers
Hi Michael and welcome to Moodle!!

I use both systems and I'm confident that you will find Moodle to be more robust, especially when it comes to discussions as there are many different forum types to select from. Happy Moodling!

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Michael - I think Moodle 4.x is a tremendous improvement in UX compared to the 'Moodley' interfaces of previous versions. I find the standard Boost theme on 4.x to be clean, minimal, and fluid, and the fonts are great too. And with this theme as the base, you can develop a custom theme that reflects your organization's brand. All the best for your transition to Moodle!

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
" though a little concerned that as I am not a developer, I might get over my head."
Don't worry about that, we developers need input from "the real world", and we appreciate a well asked question. Moodle is not a "one size fits all" solution as every non trivial installation will include some plugins so it is worthwhile checking if there is a match between what you need and what is available as a plugin.

Another thing you can do is get a trial of Moodle cloud which comes from Moodle HQ to get an idea of what it does and what it looks like.