Collaboration component

Collaboration component

by Ahmed Ndaula -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone who knows a plugin I can use to integrate collaboration within moodle. I have five schools from different countries and I would want to have different projects where these students can work on a collaborative way.

Is it possible with Moodle?

Ahmed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ahmed Ndaula

Re: Collaboration component

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The whole Moodle is about collaboration. See https://docs.moodle.org/en/Philosophy. So the question is, What are the work-flows you have in mind?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ahmed Ndaula -

Visvanath,

Thanks for your reply. I understand the whole Moodle is about collaboration but there is something I am looking integrating in  in my Moodle site https://www.giantpedia.com where I would have for instance having a project like "Climate Change" and have students from School A collaborate with students from SchoolB and also have a project like "Envirnoment" with students from school C collaborate with students from School D

Ahmed

In reply to Ahmed Ndaula

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I don't see what difference whether the students are from the same school or different school would make. Moodle is web-based, means remote. As I understand it, this is about a number of students doing a project together. The question is whether the Moodle platform could support them.

I would say, Yes, Moodle has a lot of helpful tools. The only danger is that there are too many. Unless somebody (you?) can guild them, they wouldn't go anywhere.

To quote a very, very old example I know first hand: Four good students built a "study group" right at the beginning of their four year programme. The college had an official but half-hearted Moodle. They requested a Moodle course for themselves and kept on uploading their notes, exercises, sample solutions and many more on all their subjects and courses as they were happening. They built a kind of alternative curriculum. Needless to say, they finished the programme with flying colours.

So, in essence, trying to imagine how your project teams would look like, without seeing Moodle, or any other collaboration tool for that matter, is fruitless. Get a trial Moodle, for example from Moodle Cloud and see for yourself. Moodle comes all free and even for a time freely hosted, but there is no Moodle drink, free of otherwise, which makes you to dive in to it.

P.S. You know that there are countless collaboration tools. Unless you already host Moodle, may be you want to evaluate other products too.

P.P.S. I can see you entered Moodle in December 2005. But then from somewhere 2006 until recently, you have a vacuum. Can you explain the history, so that people can give a more targeted answer?
In reply to Ahmed Ndaula

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Ahmed!

In addition to the comment made by Visvanath: Moodle was developed with some solid pedagogy in mind, such as social constructivism in education.

If you're looking for asynchonous collaboration options, consider:
  • Forums for discussion
  • Wikis, Glossaries and Databases for collaborative knowledge creation
If you're looking for synchronous collaboration options, consider:
  • BigBlueButton video conferencing
  • Chat for text-based collaboration (near synchronous)

If you're looking for collaborative document creation, there are plenty of integrations with productivity platforms such as MS365 or NextCloud...

Not everything has to happen IN Moodle, but at least make sure everything is connected through your Moodle instance.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)