Unavailable activities: display or hide conditions?

Unavailable activities: display or hide conditions?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi fellow teachers!

I am currently creating a re-designed version of the original course I created and delivered to my Art History students back at the beginning of the 2000s.🙃 It was originally built using the ToolBook authoring language, now abandonned, and re-designed in Moodle mainly with H5P customized activities.

I want to "enforce" a sequence of activities within my Moodle course, and have understood the various Access restrictions and Activity completion concepts. I just have a minor point on which I'd like to have opinions and real-case usage.

When access to an activity is restricted, do you usually display or hide the  access conditions warning? Any justifications for your choice?

Thanks!

Joseph (once a teacher, always a teacher)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Unavailable activities: display or hide conditions?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I personally prefer to hide them but I know some teachers who with very good reason say that they show the conditions so that learners know exactly what they need to do in order to access the activity/resource. For me the problem comes when for example you have an end of course quiz which is dependent on twenty other activities being completed - I would prefer to state in its descriptoin that you have to do all the other activities and hide the criteria rather than clutter up the page.
I would probably say on reflection that if you want to give your learners a clear picture of what they must do then it is probably better to display them, but  if you want an element of suprise , or to not overload them in advance, or for people doing any kind of gamification than hiding is obviously necessary.
Mary (retired teacher but still a teacher)
Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I had my restriction unhidden until I learned it confused the students who mis-understood what the restriction said. I then hidden all of them, in every course.
I do however, in the course email notifications and course description page state that there are X number of activities in the ABC course and each activity must be completed in sequence.

Kind Regards.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
If I hide an activity, it is likely that some of my students will not see it when it becomes visible.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
That could be solve by also adding a Label / Text and media object with the 'reverse' restrict access condition, so it only displays as long as the students don't meet requirements and disappears once they do.

Something like 'Nothing to see here for now. You need to complete the following activities: [list]. Do come back once you have completed all of the above'.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)