a limit to number of metacourses you can link to a course?

a limit to number of metacourses you can link to a course?

by Kimball Martin -
Number of replies: 2
Hi all,
I'm really new to moodle and have been trying to learn the ropes over the last couple of weeks. I have gone through the forums but can't find a thread which seems quite right.
I have been asked by my boss if there is a way to no have to enrol every time you go into a course (smallish business training pages). So I set up the courses as metacourses and then made a general course as the means to have new employess enrol themselves in the training areas (courses). Unfortunately, although I have checked that I have done the same for all of the courses, when I login as an employee I can only see 5 (out of 10) of the courses and when I try to enter another of the courses (by first going to "all courses") I get a message saying that the course doesn't allow public access.
The training pages have the probability of getting bigger in the future and I can see this problem may well occur again. I don't really want to split the group of 10 initial training areas into 2.
Is there a limit as to how many metacourse you can link to a course?
If anyone can tell me or let me know a workaround I would appreciate it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kimball Martin

Re: a limit to number of metacourses you can link to a course?

by Ger Tielemans -

In the old days the admin had to set and control all the access rights for courses. Meta-courses is trying to mimic this old complex administration mechanism.

Standard Moodle is organising the login mechanism in a much more simple way, if you realise how it is working:

1. In your case you could set the rule that all courses for the same department will have the same key: so, from an employee perspectiv:
    1. go to the frontpage
    2. (maybe also: organise courses by department, duplicate courses which are available for more then one department ?)
    3. go - as employee - to the category of the course you wish 
    4. click on this new course
    5. enter the department key, if this course is for you the key should work... smile
    6. next time the user can just login to see only the list with all his department courses
    7. Now your boss can monitor courses by department, if you make him teacher too. (And the union agrees smile

In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: a limit to number of metacourses you can link to a course?

by Kimball Martin -
Thanks Ger,
I managed to locate my error, so all OK now.