More complex course completion settings

More complex course completion settings

by Susan Hanisch -
Number of replies: 4
My issue is the same that was posted here two years ago without resolution:

Currently under course completion settings, condition Activity completion, the only options are to select specific activities and then choose that either ALL the selected activities be completed, or ANY (i.e. just one) of them.

But I want students to complete certain activities (e.g. obligatory assignments), plus a certain percentage of other activities (e.g. from a menu of 20 lessons of which they have to complete at least 10).

This does not seem to be possible with the current settings. Are there plugins that could handle this, or does one have to think about outsourcing activities into linked meta- or child-courses that then need to be completed (that would still not help with the issue of "complete at least 50%")

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Hanisch

Re: More complex course completion settings

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Susan,

Check out our plugin pulse.

Pulse is an activity which has a very special activity completion condition: „complete when available“.
The idea is that you can use availability restrictions to define which criteria are relevant for your course (completion) logic. 

Common use cases are:
- multilingual courses 
- adaptive learning 
- flexible learning paths

Hope it works for you!

Best
Stefan 
In reply to Stefan Scholz

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Susan,

Your requirements cannot be met in Moodle with the normal features, so you will need to opt for a plugin that might get close or have some custom development.

The last resort is to perhaps rethink the requirement. I have worked with many different institutions and none of them tell students to complete anything they want, as long as it is 50% of the requirements. They all require completion of the set activities, but for flexibility they use activities like the "Lesson" to build a path that best suites the user accessing the activity.

I hope the information is of use.

Regards
Giovanni
In reply to Susan Hanisch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Susan,

To some extent, the Checklist activity may be of use here. This activity can be used to track completion of other activities in your course and has the advantage of being a graded activity. This also means it can be completed upon reaching a required minimum grade.

I added a bit of the activity settings for reference, so you can check it out if it suits your design requirements:

A screenshot of mod_checklist settings with highlights for automatic tracking of other activities in the same course

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Susan Hanisch -
Cool, thanks Joost! Just installed this plugin and it looks like it has the functions I have been looking for! Neat!