Matrix Dropdown Question support

Matrix Dropdown Question support

by Jeremy Virgo -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

Is it possible to add Matrix Dropdown style questions?

https://www.zoho.com/survey/question-types.html#Matrix-Dropdown

We've found that we're able to get a higher rate of response by utilising this style of question.
It seems people don't get the same level of survey-fatigue when answering this style.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremy Virgo

Re: Matrix Dropdown Question support

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jeremy,
The Moodle Questionnaire activity does not feature a Matrix Dropdown question type.
However, I'm sure you can achieve very similar surveys with the current range of Questionnaire question types (and options).
Could you explicit your "survey-fatigue" argument?
Even as important as a survey's ergonomics is what you actually do with the answers. A few concrete examples of your survey questions would perhaps enable us to provide more help.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Matrix Dropdown Question support

by Jeremy Virgo -
Hi Joesph,

You can definitely build the same surveys without a Matrix Dropdown, but it would be 2/3 times longer.

We've noticed that if our surveys are too long, our participation rate drops significantly.
From my own experience, I believe this to be "survey fatigue".
I use this term to refer to the experience/feeling of "I don't have time for this"/"I'm bored of doing this" that can occur.
This can happen if learners are too frequently surveyed, but also if the surveys are too long.

Unfortunately, we don't have the option of simply shortening the survey, and it's also not an option to make them mandatory.

We've discovered though, that if the questions are built in a Matrix Dropdown style, we get a significantly higher response rate.
Someone smarter than me could probably do a paper on perception of effort required or something.

I've been told before that it's "bad design" but ultimately for us, it's the results that matter.
We get an appreciable rise in response rates using Matrix Dropdown style over a standard survey type.
If the level of responses are too low, we have to discard the results, rendering the whole exercise moot.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide any examples of our question types due to workplace policy, but the link I provided is similar in structure.
https://www.zoho.com/survey/question-types.html#Matrix-Dropdown

As you can see, it could definitely be broken apart and built using the existing methods, but as I mentioned we've discovered issues with that.