Getting Dialogue to work.

Getting Dialogue to work.

by Andy Pellow -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone,

I have installed the dialogue module and it seems to be installed OK but when I try to use it I get the following error:

Open dialogue: Could not insert dialogue record!

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Thanks

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Pellow

Re: Getting Dialogue to work.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Andy,

Firstly which version did you install into which version of Moodle? I have been making quite a few changes recently and I would not entirely exclude the possibility that I have broken it. Exactly what were you doing when you got this error? Have you been to the Admin=>Modules page to check that the new module shows up there properly (ie, there is a reasonable chance it has installed correctly).

EDIT:
I have just tried it in Moodle 1.5, and there is indeed a problem. I'm working on it right now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The problem is now fixed in CVS. As the 'latest' version on the download page will not update straight away I have attached the new version of the errant file, dialogues.php. Please replace the one in mod/dialogues.

Let me know how you get on, and (especially) if you find any other problems.

by Guillaume Nerzic -
I can't get the dialogue to work either.
I've downloaded the mod and unziped it in the mod/ directory.
When I couldn't see Dialogue "add an activity dialogue" or in  "Administration » Configuration » Modules", I found this post. I replaced
dialogues.php with your attachement, but still nothing.

My config:
windowsXP SP2
apache_2.0.55
php-5.1.2
Moodle1.5.3

In reply to Guillaume Nerzic

by Guillaume Nerzic -
Strike that! It's not a problem with Dialogue; I can't get any extra modules to install (this one was just the one I tried first).

Can anyone point me to a forum where I can get more information about module installation problems?

by Howard Miller -
Installation Problems?

Strange though... are there any errors or other odd behaviour?

by Guillaume Nerzic -
Not really, maybe I'm just not doing the installation process correctly.
(it's just a case of unzipping the module in the mod/ folder right?)

by Howard Miller -
That should be it.

Please double check that you really have a folder mod/dialogue and that there are some files in it (!). You should then go to the main admin page. Just by going to this page the folder should be spotted and the module installed. Even if the folder contents are corrupt the installer should do *something*.

If all else fails, try with debug turned on and check for anything related in your web server error logs.

Have you checked that the dialogue module is definitely not show in the list at Admin=>Modules? It is not simply hidden (eye closed) or something?

by Guillaume Nerzic -
Yep, I've done all that:
1- unzipped the Dialogue into <moodle>/mod, which created a directory called <moodle>/mod/dialogue/. In this directory are the following files:
7,499      backuplib.php
<DIR>      db
13,933     dialogues.php
132        icon.gif
1,660      index.php
18,092     lib.php
36,732     locallib.php
3,850      mod.html
30         README.txt
9,686      restorelib.php
456        version.php
7,679      view.php
(note: the dialoagues.php is the one I downloaded from this forum)

I can't find any errors in the error logs, willl have to try to switch to debug mod and see what happens.

But as I said, its not a problem with Dialogue, but with mods in general, nothing I unzip seems to register with Moodle...