Cloud specifications that can support multiple access

Cloud specifications that can support multiple access

by t k -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone.

We think it's great that you are doing all you can to promote Moodle in society.

We are providing Moodle to one of our customers. This customer has a large number of users.They are using Moodle for testing. 

We are using a cloud provided by a Japanese vendor. We build and provide Moodle in the cloud.

Customers are requesting 3000 or 5000 accesses in an instant (1 second). We have prepared the following cloud specs for this Moodle.

reverse proxy(Nginx) Number of cores: 3 cores Memory: 12GB

Web server 20 Number of cores: 12 cores Memory: 48GB

database server(SSD) Number of cores: 12 cores Memory: 64GB

Moodle data(SSD) Mount from each web server Number of cores: 4 cores Memory: 8GB

cache server Redis Number of cores: 3 cores Memory: 12GB

We did a load test, but when the number of simultaneous accesses exceeded 1500, the movement got worse.  We think that the DB is the bottleneck, and we plan to increase the DB. Still, We don't know if 3000-5000 accesses will be possible.

What kind of cloud should be configured to enable instant 3000-5000 accesses? 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to t k

Re: Cloud specifications that can support multiple access

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Are you certain of the request "3000 or 5000 accesses in an instant (1 second)"? That is massive. I ask because people come here with way exaggerated perceptions of their load without realizing that at the very high-end the costs rise vertically.

How did you do the load test, https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Load_testing_Moodle_with_JMeter perhaps? Could you provide the details?

Having the luxury of dedicated servers, I was wondering what your infrastructure has to do with the "Cloud"? AFAICS you presented a collection of VPSes.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by t k -
I apologize for the late reply.
Thank you for your useful information.
We also thought 5000 or 10000 at the same time was too much.
Since this is a government project, it was necessary to prevent the system from going down. Therefore, the customer requested specifications with a considerable margin. That request is now withdrawn. Thank you very much for your consideration.
In reply to t k

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
yeh "cloud" is just "somebody else computer".

As Visvanath says, 3k to 5k accesses per second is crazy numbers. I'd first ask you to justify how you arrived at that? How did you establish that the database was the bottleneck? It might be but at that kind of level, details start to become critical. For example, I got bitten by network capacity between the web servers and Redis. Measure everything.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by t k -
I am very sorry for the late reply.
It was difficult to understand the word cloud. It meant services like AWS and google cloud.
As mentioned above, since it was a government project, the customer wanted a non-stop system. That request has now been withdrawn.
Thank you very much for your consideration.