Adding new activities anywhere in a section

Adding new activities anywhere in a section

by Stefan Hanauska -
Number of replies: 7

Hi everyone,

in training and support for moodle, I often get to hear "What annoys me most about moodle is...". One of the most common statements is that people want to insert activities anywhere in a section, not only at the end and then moving them around.

In my eyes it's not difficult to implement. A proposition for the backend is available at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-75594, frontend is added at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-75596. The latter is just an idea, how one can implement this without messing up the course with thousands of additional buttons "Add activity or resource". It's also lacking accessibility options and a concept for handling touch devices.

Adding a new activity would look like this:

Maybe you could help with providing your opinions about this!

Best regards
Stefan

Average of ratings: Useful (8)
In reply to Stefan Hanauska

Re: Adding new activities anywhere in a section

by Nathan Lind -
YES! This is awesome! I suggested this too, during a session with Moodle HQ, but could not get traction. Glad you make this slick screen recording. Love it!
The + sign is easy to understand, and compact!

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Yes !! The idea is great. Let's hope the HQ will look favourably on this. This should / could be another great improvement for teachers at least with the forthcoming Moodle 4.1 in mind !
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Matthias Giger -
For course designers this would be a very nice feature.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Christian Mayr -

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I fully support it and hope to see it implemented in moodle rather soon:

I am developing moodle-based courses on a professional basis, so I'm facing this issue every day, and as a teacher trainer teaching the usage of the moodle-based LMS "mebis" in Bavaria, Germany, I can confirm that this is a request which is frequently voiced by my course participants: They often get annoyed when they learn that in order to insert a new activity somewhere in the middle of the course, they have to add it at the bottom and then - sometimes over quite some distance - drag it up to where it belongs.

The video shows that this feature can obviously be done, and in my opinion it would greatly enhance the user experience when creating new course content. So thumbs up and thank you, Stefan, for the feature request!

Best regards
Christian 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Vaya Willemen -

Hello Stefan,

thanks for reaching out and pointing out this very useful work you have done. The feature to add activities "in between" others in a section is needed so bad to make Moodle more efficient and usable. Finally someone is taking notice of this issue.

Hopefully Moodle developers will pick up on this. Alas, I do not have sufficient Moodle coding experience myself to review your code.