Send email to respondents rather than non-respondents?

Send email to respondents rather than non-respondents?

by Alan Brown -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

Just wondering if it's possible to edit the code to enable this, and if so how would I go about it?

I'm wanting to use this as a type of assignment extension request form, so being able to reply to a respondent rather than a non-respondent is necessary. It could potentially display all users in a course and then I select the appropriate one(s).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Brown

Re: Send email to respondents rather than non-respondents?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Alan,

This is currently not possible.

"a type of assignment extension request form" Could you please explain what you mean by that? What about using your Questionnaire instance activity completion feature to "unlock" that "assignment"?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Alan Brown -
Thanks Joseph. What I mean is that an assignment has a due date - if a student realises they cannot hand in by that date due to illness or whatever, they can request an extension on that due date. Currently we have to do that with an external Google form which is clunky. This is a feature that really SHOULD be in the core of Moodle, much as how straightforward it is to grant an extension once that is approved.

I would have thought that it would be fairly simple to modify the plugin code so that instead of the tab of 'non-respondents' only displaying those who haven't done the questionnaire, it displays ALL students so that I can message those who HAVE completed the questionnaire. Some sort of 'show_all' code?
In reply to Alan Brown

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Alan,
Thanks for replying.
I still don't understand the relationship bewteen the Questionnaire activity and your wish to allow students to request an extension for their assignment. I'm really puzzled.

Maybe it would be more clear is you said exactly what kind of question you ask in your questionnaire,

Anyway, you can always message some or all of your students in a given course by going to Participants, check the boxes to select those students you want and from the With selected users choose: Send a message.

by Alan Brown -
The questionnaire activity would be labelled "Extension Request", and the questions would be such as "What assignment are you requesting an extension for?", "What new due date are you requesting", "What is the reason for this extension request?" They would get a reply screen saying that the request has been received and their tutor would let them know if it is approved.

So...I would like the 'Non-respondents' tab able to be labelled as 'Response', and ALL participants to be available under that tab to be able to send a message to, particularly to approve or otherwise, such a request. Currently with this plugin, once a student fills in a questionnaire, they are no longer visible in that 'Non-respondents' section. Sure, I know I can go 'Participants' and message there, but I would prefer to keep the ability to respond in the same activity.
In reply to Alan Brown

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Alan,

I now understand what you are wanting. It seems you are using  the Questionnaire activity for a purpose quite different from what it intended for, i.e. gathering opinions. Probably for want of a better "tool" in Moodle.

Why not let the student use the "Comments" box of assignments to require a submission extension?

by Alan Brown -
Thanks Joseph,

We need to use a form for this as the process needs to be formalised (support services and academic manager need to be able to see and collate the info for example). Plus the students need to be directed to include all the information about new date, reasons etc as I mentioned. A simple Comments field isn't enough.

It is very strange that nothing like this exists in Moodle - some sort of form as per Questionnaire or Feedback, but with the option to respond directly within the plugin to respondents (plus cc to other staff as necessary).

Other LMS systems have this - and what would be ideal is to have this embedded within the Assignment activity, so alongside the Submission button is another one labelled "Extension Request" with some sort of form as I highlighted.
In reply to Alan Brown

by Joseph Rézeau -
@Alan,
I agree that "the ideal would be to have this embedded within the Assignment activity".