Moodle 4 - Activity Completion default choice by site

Moodle 4 - Activity Completion default choice by site

by Joe Kennedy -
Number of replies: 14

Moodle 4 privileges activity completion tracking (yay!).  But this means that every activity / resource shows up with a completion status indicator (or, NONE do).

It would look better, and be more functional, if each Moodle site could choose the default completion setting.  So, for example, a site could set Labels to show up with No activity completion by default, and URLS to show with "Student clicks link" and Assignments to show with "Student submits Assignment" - or whatever.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joe Kennedy

Re: Moodle 4 - Activity Completion default choice by site

by Przemek Kaszubski -
I agree - and offer a strong +1 from me !

At the moment the completiondefault setting of "Advanced features" standardly defaults to "Use activity default", but that default is Manual and imposed across the board on all new activities AND resources. This is often ungainly, confusing, and costing teachers' extra work (individually turning it off or trying to use the Course action menu > More > Activity completion > "Default activity completion" and/or  "Bulk edit activity completion" for each course).

The restrictive global defaults have actually made us switch the completiondefault value to "Do not indicate activity completion", and (even) the course default Completion tracking (moodlecourse | enablecompletion) to "No", so as to prevent activating completion indiscriminately in courses. We have to instruct the (interested) teachers about this feature and to show them how to tweak it in their courses.

Yes, I believe there is a need for the fine tuning of each activity / resource default completion setting (also) at the Site administration level. Thanks for bringing up this point.
In reply to Joe Kennedy

by Hugo Ribeiro -
MUA has had project proposals submitted around this idea but none has been the most voted so far.
Please consider joining MUA (or have your institution join) to be able to cast your votes.
In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Nathan Lind -
Thanks Hugo for your persistence! I hope you submit this again and you'll have our votes!
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Actually Luiggi Sansonetti should get the credit since he's the persistent author
In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Added my vote and comment under https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-68158 ("MUA Proposal: Default Settings for Completion Criteria for Activities and Resources").
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Luiggi Sansonetti -

Hi everybody

Thanks for this discussion, thanks to @Przemek for this "up" in the tracker and thanks to @hugo for wanting to re(-re-re)-launch the MUA project 😅. 

It's indeed a long story but I think it's more and more necessary to have this settings panel at the system level to simplify the workflow in the courses

Maybe this will come in the core because I sincerely hope that this kind of simplification makes sense now.

In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by Joe Kennedy -
If Moodle wants to fulfill its vision of being a way to help bring education to everyone, then this is a necessary component.  Small institutions, government agencies, non-profit organizations all need a way to provide highly-structured educational experiences - and this means guiding people through activities in a specific order, contingent upon multiple possible prerequisites.   Each organization needs to be able to set those paths as efficiently as possible, a dashboard that sets the default value for completion status is
a) easy for the end user
b) highly efficient for the end user organization members
c) relatively straightforward to build
In reply to Joe Kennedy

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Hi

"Same player, try again!"

Re-re-re-re-relaunching the proposal for the next July-December MUA Project Cycle...
For members : https://moodleassociation.org/mod/page/view.php?id=1253
For non-members : https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-70161

Maybe...

Cheers.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Richard Samson -
Great work, Luiggi.

Congratulations! I think this is a great project and would be useful for everybody. Am I right?
In reply to Joe Kennedy

by Luiggi Sansonetti -

Hi

If MUA Members are interested in this project, votes are open !

• Preliminary Voting: 1 September to 15 September 2022

--> https://moodleassociation.org/course/view.php?id=63

If Moodle community members are interested, you can vote too :

--> https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-68158

Cheers.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Moodle HQ team
I agree - I voted in both smile