Guidelines for sizing server?

Guidelines for sizing server?

by Frank Burger -
Number of replies: 1

We currently have a Moodle instance hosted on an Azure B2S server (2 virtual cpus, 4GB RAM). Loading is very light and the performance is fine. We have a potential need to expand to 1000 users. Realistically, there would be a high active user volume for a month or two, then it would drop way off as people just refer back occasionally. At this point, I'm sure the B2S would handle it, but I'm concerned about the brief peak demand period.

Question is - are there guidelines for user volume vs server size? I'd rather not do a lot of benchmarking if I can just pick the right thing up front, especially since the need is limited duration. Thanks very much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Burger

Re: Guidelines for sizing server?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> Loading is very light and the performance is fine.

Can you quantify it?

> We have a potential need to expand to 1000 users. Realistically, there would be a high active user volume for a month or two,

Again, numbers? What is the maximum number of users (out of those 1000) who will do something concurrently? What is that "something"? Reading a forum post or loading a quiz page with 25 questions in it?

> I'm sure the B2S would handle it, but I'm concerned about the brief peak demand period.

I don't know what a B2S is, but yes, it is always the peak that determines the design.

> Question is - are there guidelines for user volume vs server size?

Do you mean some sort a chart? No, can't imagine one due to the number of factors involved.

> I'd rather not do a lot of benchmarking if I can just pick the right thing up front,

Agree. But the forum documentation doesn't have that much imagination https://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance.