Any way to increase Moodlecloud storage? 5MB/user is not enough

by Andrew Uyeno -
Number of replies: 7

The Starter Moodlecloud package comes with 250MB total storage in the cloud for all 50 users. That means each of my 50 students might submit, say, 2 pictures of their work each, then my storage would be completely used up.

All plans appear to allow only 5MB of storage per user. In 2022, this strikes me as an incredibly small amount of storage for paid SAAS.

Is there any way I can just pay for more storage and not more users? Or does anybody else have thoughts on this?

In my own case, I expect to have fewer than 50 users for the foreseeable future.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

by Andrew Uyeno -
Also, if anybody out there does manage with the 5MB/user storage, can you tell me how you deal with it? What do you do if students need to submit pictures or videos?

Thank you in advance for any help!
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

Re: Any way to increase Moodlecloud storage? 5MB/user is not enough

by Zuriñe Echaniz -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team
Dear Andrew,

MoodleCloud is our off-the-shelf LMS solution that's ready to go with Moodle's most popular features built in. Its limited customisability and storage capacity, allows us to offer a streamlined, efficient and cost-effective solution.

Please check the following solutions articles on how to optimise your MoodleCloud site's storage: MoodleCloud file storage and Uploading large student assignments on MoodleCloud.

Currently MoodleCloud does not offer additional storage as a separate product/purchase. 

Regards,
Zuriñe

In reply to Zuriñe Echaniz

by Deryck Walker -
I am also seeking additional storage within MC.

Am more than happy to pay the extra for it. 
I'm in a situation where I do not need more student seats, but I do need more data.

I realise you can have content files stored externally via google drive etc, it's just a case where doing so requires a fair bit of faffing about, it would be so much easier and more streamlined if everything could be kept in one place. 

Again, I'm not asking for something for free, and would pay a fair rate per GB.

Just my two cents. 
In reply to Deryck Walker

by Katherine Prouty -
I've been reading the documentation, and it seems that you can't have students upload assignments to aws, even though you connect aws. Is this correct? Or am I totally reading it wrong. 

We need to be able to keep the uploaded assignment logs that they have been completed satisfactorily. 

We could download all of the assignments at the end of the year, delete them from the server, but keep the records that we have them. Is this possible?

Our storage plan for 200 users won't cover what we need to do with assignments. I thought we could connect storage for uploaded assignments... please tell me that this is possible.

Katherine
In reply to Katherine Prouty

by Barbara van Dongen -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team
Hi Katherine,

MoodleCloud offers cost-effective, standard hosting plans with fixed user and storage quotas for each subscription plan tier. These are ideal for small organisations requiring a simple, pre-configured LMS solution. If you require more storage or users on the MoodleCloud platform, your options are to upgrade to a larger plan, optimise your storage (only for resources, this is not possible for student assignment submissions), and/or suspend user accounts (suspended users do not count toward your MoodleCloud user quota).

To keep records and evidence of student assignments, it is possible to download student assignment submissions and assignment reports. For more information read the '5. Keeping records' section in Using Assignment.

If you require additional storage  and/or users than what our MoodleCloud plans offer, you can use the fully customisable open-source Moodle LMS either as a self-hosted solution or a premium hosting plan with one of our Moodle Certified Partners

See our website for more information on MoodleCloud. There you will also find a link to start a free MoodleCloud trial where you can explore all the features to see if this is a suitable solution for your organisation.

Kind regards,
Barbara
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Barbara van Dongen

by Katherine Prouty -
I'm asking about the product roadmap.

I already have a 200 user account set up. I paid for the one year subscription.

Our assignments will include photos, and these take up a lot of space.

I'm asking if there will be a way in the future for student assignment submissions to be linked to other storage services within Moodle and not just for resources.

Surely this is a common concern among potential users.

Best,

Katherine
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

Sv: Any way to increase Moodlecloud storage? 5MB/user is not enough

by Per Tuvall -
I would have to agree with Andrew here. I'm on Moodlecloud and trying to get familiar with Moodle with the intent of setting up a professional LMS platform for my business. And a 250 MB storage limit is certainly not going to cut it. I'm working with video in courses and also video submissions. 5 MB/user is a factor 100 lower storage limit than what I think will be useful. Should have been 25 GB instead.

Storing educational videos is not the problem, that can be done from other sources. But asking students to use Onedrive or Dropbox instead and linking would take away focus from the learing.

I would, of course, be willing to pay for the storage used. Not trying to be cheap, it's about usefulness.