How do I make a URL open in a new tab?

How do I make a URL open in a new tab?

by Andrew Uyeno -
Number of replies: 4

When I originally created the URL as a resource in a course, I did not see an option for it.

I went to Site administration > Plugins > URL but did not see an option to open the link in a new tab.

So, where is the option for students to click on the URL and have it open in a new tab? Or is there no such option?

Thank you for your help.

EDIT

I just saw that inside the Page resource, there is an obvious checkbox to select if you want a URL to open in a new window. Surely there must be something similar to this for the URL resource and new tabs as well!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

Re: How do I make a URL open in a new tab?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
First enable this "New window" by going to Admin | Plugins | Activity modules | URL and include it in the "Available display options" settings. Then it should work.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Andrew Uyeno -
Thank you for your reply. 

The option there says "New window", which I selected. The link now opens in a new tab, at least in Microsoft Edge. Is there a "new tab" option or should I just settle for this?

In reply to Andrew Uyeno

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am not the expert in HTML, but from what I know, "new window" is the same thing as "new tab." It's the browser that decides what to do with this information. For example, in Safari on my Mac, a new tab is opened. But Safari on my iPhone opens as a new window.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Andrew Uyeno -
Got it.

Chrome seems to open it in a new tab as well. I think this will probably suffice for now. Thank you!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)