Multiple orders, same user, different passwords treatment

Re: Multiple orders, same user, different passwords treatment

by Cindy Weber -
Number of replies: 2
Jon - Yes. I am using Zen-cart for external database authentication. My Zen-cart database was modified, adding an entry that moodle checks and verifies for information. I think a cure is for Moodle to be able to create multiple entries/students with the same email address. Right now it doesn't do that. It will only create 1 students per unique email address. I have 'allow accounts with same email' checked.
The student's email is his/her user name and their last name is their password. A confirmation email is sent to the student from Zen-cart telling them the link, user name and password. If the student orders multiple times with different case types, moodle sticks with the first account, if it is still in the Moodle database; and won't give them access to the new course ordered.

So..example.
Order pre-licensing course: User name: abc.net
                                                Password: Garcia (This is created as an account in Moodle and the students gets access.)

If that account is still in the Moodle database..

Student orders continuing education: User name: abc.net
                                                                Password: GARCIA 
(The student is provided this log-in in a confirmation email, but Moodle does nothing, and does not give the students access to the new course. The student tries this password, but Moodle won't let him in.)

Can I tell Moodle to create a new account with User name: abc.net     Password: GARCIA  for the new account, even though the student still exists in the Moodle database as User name: abc.net       Password: Garcia ?

I am not trying to combine the accounts, only let the student get access to the course that he/she ordered. Moodle can verify the order, because it is an entry in the Zen-cart database. I want Moodle to create another account for the same student, with the changed, verified capitalization case of the last name for the new course.
In reply to Cindy Weber

by Cindy Weber -
Jon
I have spent a little more time on this. I understand that Moodle will only create more than one account with the same email address only if it is created manually or sent in - not using external database. I have also tried the 'Data Mapping' fields. My password is the student's last name, or middle and last, but changing the mapping to 'on every login' only allows the last name to change, not the password. Moodle seems to create the password from the last name on the first log in. After that, if the student purchases another course using a different version of his/her last name (i.e. Garcia first, GARCIA next), the password is permanent and not changeable from the database. The student cannot log in using the 2nd verision of the last name. I also tried changing the Password format, without success. I looked through the db auth.php file and compared it to my old moodle file. I couldn't see a way to change the new file to make the password behave like the old Moodle - giving the student (using the email address/user name as a guide) to all of the course that he/she has enrolled in, regardless of case on the last name. Do you have any other suggestions?
In reply to Cindy Weber

by Cindy Weber -
Does anyone have any suggestions? Using external db authentication - maybe with Zen-cart? My students receive an email confirmation with a new user name and password from their latest order, but Moodle sticks with the user name and password that is in the system, even though it is the same email address. Won't let the student in.