Moodle analytics course or videos

Moodle analytics course or videos

by Zabelle Motte -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I am studying moodle native learning analytics possibilities and i found this video that presents the developers basics :

This video seems to be the first of a series of webinars that are not more accessible :
https://moodle.com/news/moodle-learning-analytics-webinars/

I find it is difficult to enter the analytics concepts without such a course.
And I was amazed to notice there are analytics plugins that are developped as additionnal plugins that do not use the default analytics (and therefore suppose to use new tables in database).
Here is an interresting analytics plugin that works without using the default analytics :
https://moodle.org/plugins/local_learning_analytics

If there exist a course or videos to let developpers learn more about Moodle default learning analytics, it would be fine to share these videos or to open this course.

Kisses,

Zabelle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zabelle Motte

Re: Moodle analytics course or videos

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
There is a YouTube Moodle channel with all kinds of videos. Maybe you will find some that help you.

The video that you posted is from Elizabeth Dalton.  The last time I chatted with her she was working for Intelliboard, a company specializing in Moodle Analytics.  Consider contacting Elizabeth or Intelliboard for their perspectives on analytics.

I am not exactly sure where your "study" will take you.  However, remember that Moodle uses a relational database to store all kinds of information.  If you know SQL, you have access to (almost) everything you could want.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Zabelle Motte -
I noticed that Elizabeth Dalton left the Moodle project to work for Intelliboard :
https://www.linkedin.com/in/elizabethdalton/
I am a bit suprised for your advise to contact Intelliboard while I am trying to understand the default Moodle learning analytics.

I wanna develop and test a new analytics indicator : show the most viewed activities and ressources in a course, to alert each student about activities they did not complete. I do not know if it is possible to make such student report with the default Moodle analytics. But I do not want to make it with an external paying tool.

I read the analytics API but it is a bit difficult to enter that documentation without some examples.
I have been searching in the Youtube Moodle channel and found the above video that seems to be the first session of a mutisession webinars about that question. This session explicitely proposes participants to work on an example. That is the reason why I ask if it is possible to access the other sessions videos.
I did not find other videos about the analytics development.

I am not the only one in this forum to ask for help on that question.
I also saw that new analytics plugins arise and they do not use the native analytics development approach.

I like very much Moodle, but I honestly wonder if the native Moodle analytics is a continued project.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Zabelle Motte

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
To contact Intelliboard is only a suggestion so that you know what Moodle offers and does not offer. But yes, Intelliboard is a "pay for" application.

I haven't dug into the analytics API, so I will let others assist you. Some of what you mention is already available to the instructor and/or student. For example, "Activity Completion" can serve both. So can a grade book. But perhaps you are trying to design a tool that is more specific or more flexible.