Migration - moodle and moodledata folders

Migration - moodle and moodledata folders

by Javier Tejera -
Number of replies: 4

I am migrating a Moodle site, so I am backing up moodledata, moodle and the db.

The moodledata folder is in public_html instead of one level up. This is probably because this site has been deployed using an auto-installer.

In this context, I guess the moodle folder would be the public_html directory *without* the moodledata folder, correct? 

Thanks
Javier

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Javier Tejera

Re: Migration - moodle and moodledata folders

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sounds like the work of the notorious Softaculous. sad

Yes, you are correct if server migrating to allows - the moodle directory contains code and goes in a public_html (directory defined by web service to be document root).   moodledata generally goes one level up so it's not directly accessible via web browser but must be writable by web service.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Javier Tejera -
Exactly, our dearest friend Softaculous ;)

Thanks Ken!

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The moodle/ folder is where the config.php is. In moodledata/ you will find the filedir/ directory.

https://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_migration explains the migration directly on the OS. If you use a "panel" the instructions will depend on the panel and as a result less people here will know "your" panel.

by Brijesh Kothari -
Hi Javier,

Can you please let us know which hosting provider are you using (I am trying to collect data from some users to be able to narrow down if this happens on certain hosting provider and if we find it we will contact them and ask how we can rectify if) ? By default Softaculous creates the data directory outside the document root. Maybe the hosting provider customized it using filters which could have caused the data directory in Softaculous folder.