Making resources hidden/orphaned but still accessible?

Making resources hidden/orphaned but still accessible?

by Cindy Weber -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 3.11.4   I am struggling with making an activity 'hidden but still accessible' in an orphaned section. In my previous Moodle version, I housed my feedback question information in a section that was orphaned so that - in an earlier, available course section - the feedback link took the student directly to the page after 'answer the questions'. 

In the 3.11 Moodle version, if I use the topics course format, that doesn't give me the ability to subtract sections and make them available to students, but orphaned. If I use collapsed topics, it gives me more control over adding and subtracting sections but it also adds additional labels that aren't needed for me. If I hide the section or topic, the student sees, 'sorry this activity is currently hidden'. 

I was trying to send the student directly to the feedback activity, without requiring him/her to click on the 'answer the questions' button. In my previous Moodle version, the feedback activity lived in the orphaned section, and the student was only provided with a link to the page following 'answer the questions'.

So it seems that my problem is the inability to add a section, put accessible content in the section and next subtract the section, so the student never sees it. This version doesn’t offer a + - section option at the end of the page. I only used this for the feedback activity. 

If orphaned sections are no longer available, is there another way to offer the student a link directly to the feedback activity page?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cindy Weber

Re: Making resources hidden/orphaned but still accessible?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Orphaned activities went away a long time ago. Now, you just hide the activity and then go back to the drop down menu and select Make Accessible. This is the same as orphaning - you will see now on the course page - Available but not shown on course page.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Making resources hidden/orphaned but still accessible?

by Cindy Weber -
Thank you Emma! That's what I needed! I also needed to click site admin/advanced features/allow stealth activities to have access to 'make available' in the dropdown menu.