Collapsed Topics for Moodle 4.0

Collapsed Topics for Moodle 4.0

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I've updated Collapsed Topics for Moodle 4.0 as follows:

Version 4.0.0.1 for Moodle 4.0rc1 version 2022040800.00 (Build: 20220408) and above within the master branch until the next release:

with:

1. Refactor - Moodle 4.0 version to cope with course format API changes.
  2. Fix 'Error during course creation if defaultdisplayblocks is empty' - CONTRIB-8824.
  3. Add the ability to specify icon font classes for the close and open toggle icons.
  4. Add the ability to specify icon font classes for the one section link.
  5. Implications of MDL-73679.
  6. Implications of MDL-73683.
  7. Implications of MDL-73679.
  8. Add 'Dynamic' option to 'Column orientation' setting.

Important!  - To support drag and drop editing, the sections will be shown in order in one column regardless of the number of columns setting.  This is because of the complexities of the functionality, please do not report it as a bug.

The course format API has changed drastically in Moodle 4.0 and it has taken me some estimated forty hours to refactor and then upgrade Collapsed Topics to support it.  This doesn't take into account of time spent by others, such as on MDL-73679, which further changed the API and Andrew Lyons created a branch https://github.com/andrewnicols/moodle-format_topcoll/commits/73679-wip that tested the issue and helped me to understand what was going on.

I'm pleased to announce that I've added two new features:

1. You can now specify an icon font class for the toggle icon.  This has the added advantage of reacting to the colour of the text.
  2. A 'Dynamic' option for the 'Column orientation' setting, whereby the sections are in a horizontal row format with the number per row changing depending on the size of the window.  I only created this two days ago, and so may need a bit of adjustment in the future.

I very strongly suggest that you test on a test server first!  Even more so as this is a 'Release candidate' version.  I cannot be held responsible for: hair loss, hitting your head on the ceiling, cries of frustration, nervous twitches or other stress related events if you don't!  If you find this post useful, then please mark it so.  Please report any issues with this version ONLY here.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Collapsed Topics for Moodle 4.0

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Post release indentation issue with patch: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll/issues/120.

by Christophe MATHIEU -
Hi Gareth,
I may have found an issue when you drag and drop files into a course in Collapsed Topics Course format. It doesn't work with Moodle 4.0 and 4.0.1 and the last version of the plugin 4.0.1.0.
I hope the sentence mentioned in the README file about drag and drop doesn't address this point. If so, sorry for this post.
Thanks
Christophe
In reply to Christophe MATHIEU

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Christophe,

The drag and drop pertains to moving sections / modules. Thus, this is about file upload on a course via drag and drop? And you've checked that on the same system it works for the Topics format?

G

by Christophe MATHIEU -

Dear Gareth,

Yes i've checked it and it works fine with the topic format on both Moodle version 4.0 and 4.0.1.

Christophe

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Just replicated on my dev server. You can drag and drop activities just fine but file upload drag and drop does NOT work.