Disabling activity completion for file resources?

Disabling activity completion for file resources?

by Sharon Strauss -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Testers

Hello,

I have a new Moodle 3.11.5 installation. The new activity completion option is great for some courses, but I'd like to be able to disable it on the course page for resources--especially files.

I tried turning it off at the admin and at the course level. I can remove the option for activities, but the large checkbox seems to persist for file resources unless I completely disable the completion option on a resource.  I have not tested every resource and activity. However, Folders, Assignments, and Quizzes all seem to abide by the course setting.

Am I missing something or is this a bug? Or maybe a feature?

The screenshots below show the same course with the "Show activity completion conditions" course option set to YES and to NO.

Attachment Show activity completion conditions set to NO.gif
Attachment Show activity completion conditions set to yes.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon Strauss

Re: Disabling activity completion for file resources?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

So you are stuck with it. There's been a lot of complaints (MDL-34729 and MDL-31603) about how poorly designed this all is.

Your option is such cases is to turn off the manual completion for the resource altogether. Or you can do some type of workaround such as move the Files and URLs into a Page instead and just stop using the File and URL resources if you need manual completion with them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers
Actually, I found a workaround. I edited the defaults for different resource and activity types in my course templates. I disabled activity completion for resources and set default completions that made sense for common activities like assignment and quiz.
Attachment 2022-04-22_17-22-33.gif
In reply to Sharon Strauss

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Good.

Also, in Moodle 4.0 the look and usage of the "Mark done" button is much improved. You still can not remove it entirely for Label, File, and URL if you have it set to Student can manually mark done, but at it is not so egregious. So, the ability to set the default to disable that per course is still very useful if you don't it at all.