The new moodle.org server

The new moodle.org server

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For those that are interested in these things, the new server that moodle.org is running on is a Dual-Xeon 2.4 Ghz running Redhat Enterprise Server 3.0. I'm going to keep other stuff on this server to a minimum. Should give us some room for growth. smile

It's my first experience of Enterprise - to be honest I haven't seen any differences from Redhat 9.0 yet.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: The new moodle.org server

by Huib van Wees -
Hi Martin,

A cut and past from the Redhat site:

What is it?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the premier operating system for open source computing. It's sold by annual subscription, runs on seven system architectures, is certified by top enterprise software and hardware vendors, and backed by a Red Hat Network subscription and up to 24x7 support with one-hour response.

With other words, is nothing new except for the support of hardware and the 24x7 support.

At least I think so.... wink

Regards,

Huib

In reply to Huib van Wees

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There do seem to be some good technical differences, just not in the areas I use.

What I mostly needed, though, is the ongoing support for upgrades and updates and RedHat 9 is being dropped in April.

by John Gone -
This seems much faster.
In reply to John Gone

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yeah, it's screamin' now. And so it should considering what it costs me (hundreds of dollars/month). tongueout

by John Gone -
Well, it is certainly screamin, but OUCH on the $$$ large mularsky $$$