A Main "Course Blog"?

A Main "Course Blog"?

by David Smey -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I am a new user, trying to learn the ropes of course design with a free trial account on MoodleCloud.

Is it possible to have a "course blog" that is displayed on the main course screen?   My preferred online teaching method is to have a blog that greets the students and tells them what they are supposed to be doing that week.  Because it is in a blog format, they can easy page forward and back and look at past entries as well, and everything is chronologically ordered.

So far I've managed to turn on blogs, and create a blog entry that is connected to my profile.  

1) Can I make that blog display as part of the course content (as a section, I guess?)

2) Does "turning on blogs" allow all students to have blogs?  That is not necessarily what I want, I want an instructor's blog.  (I guess I am fuzzy on whether "users" means me the instructor, or all students as well.)

3) Is there some other resource I should be using that can behave this way, that is not called a blog?

Hope this question makes sense.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Smey

Re: A Main "Course Blog"?

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
In Moodle, those would be called Forums - this discussion we are having now is a Moodle Forum.
Many teacher create the Forum, create the first post welcoming the students and providing instructions and expectations for student postings.
Students cannot create their own Forums without permissions.
kind Regards,
Shirley
In reply to David Smey

Re: A Main "Course Blog"?

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David,

In addition to what Shirley has explained, have a look at the course format “social”. Essentially, it replaces the course home page with a forum. Additional activities can be added using the social activities block. 

On moodle cloud, you unfortunately can’t use plugins - otherwise the timeline format would be an interesting option for you, too.

Best

Stefan