What to do in MoodleCloud? Bulk upload of users - no email

What to do in MoodleCloud? Bulk upload of users - no email

by Maria Yngwe -
Number of replies: 8

Hi Randy!

Thank you so much for the rapid reply!  

We use moodlecloud so: 

- it does not seem possible to do anything with cron then. I found this discussion from the past, however with no solution. Is there a solution now?

"How can I force cron to run on moodlecloud hosting?

av Reye Leduc -fredag, 4 september 2020, 22:56"

- Where do I enable schedule task "send new user passwords....." etc

- The last one I already do set when uploading. I have the options "Add new only, skip existing users" and "Create password if needed..." (however up until now to no avail):

:

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Yngwe

Re: What to do in Moodlecloud? Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Maria,

Then this must be an issue with Moodle Cloud. The upload settings you have are the right ones, so this is very likely an issue with the cron.

You can check on the task for this in Site administration > Server > Scheduled tasks, and then do a browser search of that page for "Send new user passwords" to find the task \core\task\send_new_user_passwords_task. It should be enabled and set to run ASAP (which actually means every time cron runs.)

I am not sure how Moodle Cloud works these days or whether you can see that setting. I think this is an issue for their support.

You can be pretty sure it is cron with the following test:

- Create a user manually in Site admin > Users > Accounts > Add a new user, and set it to send them a password with the "Generate password and notify user" setting.

If this works, it means that the email system is working. This is because manually creating one user does not use the cron process, it just immediately sends the email out.

On the other hand, the Upload user process works differently. It places the accounts to create with new passwords in a queue and then that Scheduled task checks that queue and emails any new items out the next time cron runs the task.

You could test this by creating two test users sending to known working email addresses.
In reply to Randy Thornton

Sv: Re: What to do in Moodlecloud? Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Maria Yngwe -
Thank you so much for your help Randy!
I have controlled all you suggest and all settings are as you mention. It works perfectly well to add one user at a time and get an email, so nothing wrong with the email system. However, still no solution to why bulk upload does not work.
I have tried to report this to Moodlecloud support now too.  
In reply to Maria Yngwe

Re: Sv: Re: What to do in Moodlecloud? Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Maria. I have moved this post to the dedicated MoodleCloud forum so hopefully someone from the Cloud team will look at it on Monday. I am not sure what the problem with your reporting to MoodleCloud support and having the message about not providing all required information, but perhaps they can advise on that too.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Sv: Re: Sv: Re: What to do in Moodlecloud? Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Maria Yngwe -
Hi! Please provide a link to where the post can now be found. Thanks! Maria
In reply to Maria Yngwe

Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: What to do in Moodlecloud? Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Maria. I meant that I moved your original post where you asked about Bulk upload of users - no email to here, which is the MoodleCloud forum. You're here and you are watching this discussion thread smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: What to do in Moodlecloud? Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Maria Yngwe -
Aha! Big thanks wink
In reply to Maria Yngwe

Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: What to do in Moodlecloud? Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Kelly Howell -
Hi Maria,
Just checking to ensure that you have resolved your issue with users not receiving their email. A common issue we find in MoodleCloud is that when uploading users from CSV, administrators often don't have the data in the correct format.

When logged in from Site administration / Users / Upload users, an example text (.csv) file is available. It includes can be downloaded and adapted to your needs.

The sample fields are: username,firstname,lastname,email

Additional fields can be added as below. If you choose to enrol in course/cohort then they must already have been manually created before the CSV upload occurs: username,firstname,lastname,email,course1,group1,cohort1

I have seen it where sometimes the order of these fields are changed, or additional fields are added in the first column that stops it from working.

You can read more here: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Upload_users#Valid_upload_file_for_testing

I hope that this helps.
Warm regards,
Kelly
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Maria Yngwe

Re: What to do in MoodleCloud? Bulk upload of users - no email

by Luca Miglioli -
Hi Maria,

we're facing the same problem (no new password email using bulk upload)...do you have any news?

Thanks!

Luca