Central Grades Table

Re: Central Grades Table

by Michael Tanczos -
Number of replies: 0
Just to give an overview of some of the suggestions I've made are intended to fix:
  • Segmentation of grades into terms
  • Storage of permanent "historical" grades for transcripts, gpa calculations, graduation credit calculations, grade reports** (probably most important)
  • All existing weighting methods could be retained both for individual assignments and also for final grade calculations
  • "graded items", as defined in the Moodle_Enhancements2.doc could be used to define separate assignments that don't come from a module
  • easy access to export data from the centralized table
  • cross course viewing of student grades from a dashboard display - as a course progresses they can see the instructors non-historical grades. They can also see the final grades they are assigned as the year progresses.
  • a separate table may be created to assign comments to individual grades if desired
  • the ability to create customized scales and also define codes that have a special meaning. Like if I put "T" into my gradebook, to me I could take that to mean that the student was absent and the corresponding grade is a zero until they make up the missed work.. but at least I can see why they don't have a grade there yet in the mean time. See the "grade scales" portion, where userid = teacher's user id.
  • the ability to override module grades with a grade of the instructors choosing. This does not change how the module itself calculated the grade (so the original module grade gets retained), but would simply be a new value that would override the old module grade.

Some clarification on what is seen below. The chart below allows you to set up multiple final grades based on the terms that were defined. So you can see under the first row, "Y1" would represent a final grade to be calculated for the entire year. Q1 would represent a final grade for the first quarter in the third row, Q2 for the second quarter. The important thing to note is that each final grade would have to have a date range associated with it that takes place within the term it should be defined within. Then you can represent things like a midterm exam by setting aside a special day to designate it as a "midterm" day. Then any assignments added for that date would get calculated as a midterm.

You can see under Quarter 2 there is a [Q2] *and* a [E1] code. If the range for quarter 2 was from say.. November 15 to December 15. The Q2 final grade range might be set up for November 15 to December 14, and the E1 (midterm or final exam) final grade could be set up as December 15. Then all assignments within the Q2 final grade range count towards the Q2 final grade, and all assignments within the E1 (midterm exam) range of one day would count towards that students final exam. It would be important later on to give the instructor flexibility in determining each final grade as a composite of assignments within that range, or even extend it to be a composite of selected other final grades. So we might weight Y1 to be 20% of Q1, 20% of Q2, 10% of E1, 20% of Q3, 20% of Q4, and 10% of E2 (20+20+10+20+20+10=100%).

The rotations shown are just to show more possible divisions of time. Not all classes would be defined to utilize terms on that level.

F I N A L G R A D E S E T U P

This section provides an interface to set up final grades as they appear in the gradebook. It starts by using the hierarchial term list established by creating the terms. Initially each column contains an [ Add Final Grade ] link, but as final grades are entered in they start to show up to the left of the [ Add Final Grade] link.

2005-2006 School Year Y1

[Y1] [ Add Final Grade ]

Semester 1 S1

[ Add Final Grade ]

Semester 2 S2

[ Add Final Grade ]

Quarter 1 Q1

[Q1] [ Add Final Grade]

Quarter 2 Q2

[Q2] [E1] [ Add Final Grade]

Quarter 3 Q3

[Q3] [ Add Final Grade]

Quarter 4 Q4

[Q4] [E2] [ Add Final Grade]

Rotation 1 R1

[ Add Final Grade]

Rotation 2 R2

[ Add Final Grade]

Rotation 3 R2

[ Add Final Grade]

Rotation 4 R2

[ Add Final Grade]

Rotation 3 R2

[ Add Final Grade]

A grade storage code can be set up for any of the terms established in the term setup area. Each of these codes will appear in the gradebook for each course depending on the terms the course runs over.An instructors gradebook with the term setup above might look like this:
Q1, Q2, E1, Q3, Q4, Y1

As they fill in assignments throughout the "year" each final term grade would be updated based on the assignments contained within that term. Again, the instructor should be able to configure how each term final grade is calculated however.

---
Michael Tanczos