Your opinions on Knowledge Tree DMS

Your opinions on Knowledge Tree DMS

by M Y -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I am looking into setting up Knowedge Tree DMS for a client and also have mentioned it to the network manager at school.

Has anyone used this before in a production environment? If so, is it useful, how customisable is it?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Y

Re: Your opinions on Knowledge Tree DMS

by M Y -
Forget it I cant be bothered, its too hard, I get error after error.

Oh well,

Martin
In reply to M Y

by Benoit Brosseau -
its not very good what you want in OWL or better yet Dspace we have sevreal install running and D-space is great. there is also a project called fedora (no not the linux distro) that is very promising
In reply to M Y

by Mark Burnet -
Our's isn't in a production environment yet, but we had a very easy install and it has been running cleanly during our testing.  What kind of error's are you seeing?
In reply to Mark Burnet

by M Y -
I cant remember, I deleted it as I tried installing OWL Intranet Engine, emphasis on the tried. smile

The message was a whole page of PHP "stuff" that I couldnt understand, I think it is something to do with me using PHP 5 as it is not supported. I tried switching to PHP 4 mode in XAMPP but that messed up Moodle and PostNuke.

Are there any other free DMS's avaliable like Knowledge Trees interface. I found OWL confusing and when I installed it I get this:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /opt/lampp/htdocs/dms/config/owl.php on line 110

I dont suppose anyone could run thought the installation with me in case I have made some stupid mistake? I would really like to get some dms's in my portfolio.

TIA
Martin
In reply to M Y

by Richard Egelstaff -
I have been using a very simple installation based on the 2.07 release for exchange and discussion related to documents for course development purposes.  I have expert committees and course developers.  The developers write the document, put it into KnowledgeTree (KT) and committee members 'view' and 'discuss'.  At a certain point in time the developer will 'checkout' the document and update then 'checkin' for further review discussion, etc.  [The quotes represent workflow functions in KT.]

The current version has been working since September last year, and the users are very happy with it.  I have played with the 3.0 release of KT, and plan to use it in the future, but for the time being I have decided that it does not offer anything substantially worth having - and I'm fearful that productivity will drop if the nice stable and familar user interface that is working well changes.

I did have some initial problems with the installation (mainly the .htaccess files and database permissions), but with a little bit of help from my web server host technical staff resolved things and haven't had to touch anything since.  I'm not using the special indexing and maintain a watch on the logs which can get big.  So in short I'm very happy with KT and will continue to use it.

Hope this helps you Martin, regards Richard.
In reply to Richard Egelstaff

by M Y -
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, I had no problems installing KT, I set the permitions correctly, imported the database tables with phpmyadmin. The knowledge tree dashboard and admin panel work fine, it is when you click Browse that you recieve the errors.

Martin
In reply to M Y

by Richard Egelstaff -
Martin,

Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide any insight. SInce I have not experienced the error you report.

I run WinXP with KT on two machines in my office (one with 2.0.7 and one with 3.0.1). The php/sql environemnt is EasyPHP (Apache 1.3.33, PHP 4.3.10, Mysql 4.1.9).

The host server is Linux with Apache 1.3.34, PHP 4.4.2, Mysql 4.4.14

If you want to have a look at the public KT app' (2.0.7) follow the link http://www.wfassociates.com.au and click on the KnowledgeTree icon.  The guest login is 'guest' password 'guest'.  There are some documents you can look at, just browse around.

This may not help, but will at least provide you with some confidence that KT works ok.

Regards Richard