Automating the data extraction from multiple moodle installations..

Automating the data extraction from multiple moodle installations..

by Chathuri Bhagya -
Number of replies: 4

I am trying to create a data lake using data from 20-25 independently hosted moodle systems on the same network.

I cannot access the backend of these systems. I am aware that the admin can run a custom SQL query from the front end and export it as a CSV/ JSON etc.

I need to automate the process of the above generated file being uploaded to a given server.

What are my options to receive the daily report to a common server location without having to access the backend.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chathuri Bhagya

Re: Automating the data extraction from multiple moodle installations..

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
As an alternative to csv file manual download, the admin can also run a SQL query from the front end and have it automatically emailed by using the Ad-hoc database queries plugin. If you can have them emailed into the same email box, you may be able to process it from there. At least you will have gotten the data out of Moodle at that point.

The other option would be using the web access API, which could at least be set up by the admin without needing any back end access. If you wanted to code it that way instead of via SQL.
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Chathuri Bhagya -
Thank you Randy. I found the Ad-hoc database query plugin. However, I couldn't find the web access API. Could you please share a link to that API?
In reply to Chathuri Bhagya

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
You should start with this page: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Web_services_API
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Tanoli Blogger -

Hey Randy, 

I can't thank you enough for your effective response which helped me to fix it immediately here.

Keep up the good work gentlemen.