What to whitelist for email notifications

What to whitelist for email notifications

napisao/la David Kimball -
Broj odgovora: 3
My student's Gsuite accounts block Assignment notification emails coming from Moodle.  Where do I find the default server Moodle uses so I can whitelist it in Google Admin?
U odgovoru na David Kimball

Re: What to whitelist for email notifications

napisao/la Ken Task -
Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers

A little deeper iceburg is involved me thinks.

Do you have your Moodle set up to relay mail via SMTP service?

If not, then your moodle is using the built-in phpmailer which can't pass muster on systems bent on protecting 'customers' - and there are more of those than just gmail.com.

A good SMTP relay setup will pass muster with Google checks ... those checks are SPF, DKIM, valid no-reply address, etc. - multiple.

Ask those students to check their spam.   Also, if they had previously gotten something from your Moodle, ask them to look at the 'Show Original' of that message.   That will show the full header of the email message which shows the mail servers that message ran through to get to their inbox.

The 'Receivied' lines in that header are the important ones.

'SoS', Ken

U odgovoru na Ken Task

napisao/la David Kimball -
Thanks, Ken. It is using the built-in service and no, they are not receiving anything, including the new account confirmation email. Nothing in their spam. So, then, there is nothing per see to whitelist to get the notification emails through but to set up the SMTP relay? I will have to figure out how to do that one.

David

BTW, you have been around here a LONG time. Really appreciate all the help you have given.
U odgovoru na David Kimball

napisao/la Ken Task -
Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, am 'ancient'. :|

When you look around for SMTP services ... first check with where you are hosting.   Many offer a setup where by customer has 10,000 free and then X$ amount over.

Dunno what your volume of outgoing mail would be and not sure there is any tool that moodle admin has that would tell you that.

I, personally, use SendGrid's API.  But my sites are sandboxes and very little mail come from them.

See:

https://docs.sendgrid.com/for-developers/sending-email/integrating-with-the-smtp-api

Do learn the gmail show original thang so you can tell students how 2 ... just in case.

'SoS', Ken