Reading Text is missing in imported jquiz question

Reading Text is missing in imported jquiz question

by Syed Mustafa -
Number of replies: 9

Hi Gordon,

I am new to Moodle and currently trying to include Reading Comprehension questions to my course quiz. I need to have 2 panes wherein one pane remains static with a text passage and the other pane consists of related questions. I found the best fit to this desired layout in Hot Potatoes JQuiz. I have now created a jquiz exercise by also including a Reading-text. I have then imported this jqz file into the Moodle Question Bank. After sorting out the initial php8 issues, the import completed successfully. But when I select this question in my quiz, the reading text is missing. Is this the standard behaviour or am I missing something in my import.

P.S: I am able to import this as a HP activity element and it works fine (reading text is shown) but I need this within my quiz.  

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Syed Mustafa

Re: Reading Text is missing in imported jquiz question

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Syed,
did you create the JQuiz with HP7? If so, I don't think that the Hot Potatoes question plugin can recognize HP7 files yet.

Can you try making the JQuiz with HP6? if you can, then I think the import will work.

Regards
Gordon Bateson
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Syed Mustafa -
Hi Gordon,
Yes I had created with HP7. Now I have installed HP6 and created the same exercise. The rendering in Moodle Quiz after the import still does not show the reading text. 

I have attached the screenshot of the HP6 webpage as well as the Moodle quiz after importing the question. As you can see, the side pane with reading text (which is present in JQ output) is missing in the Moodle quiz question display.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Syed Mustafa
Attachment JQ6_Output.png
Attachment MoodleQuiz_Output.png
In reply to Syed Mustafa

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Syed,
how do you envision the Reading would be displayed in the Moodle quiz?
Would we repeat the Reading for each question?
Or would we display the question in a seperate "Description" question?

by Syed Mustafa -
Hi Gordon,
I am visualizing a side-by-side display of the reading text and the question pane. The reading pane would contain text that is common for a group of questions (say 4 -5) and then the text in the reading pane will change for the next set of questions. This layout will avoid the need to scroll up and down between the passage and the questions while answering especially if the reading text is of a significant size.

I have configured the quiz to display one question per page therefore the description question does not actually help.

I train students to appear for certain competitive tests and therefore trying to keep the course quiz format as close as possible to the actual test format.

Thank you once again for your help.

Regards,
Syed Mustafa
In reply to Syed Mustafa

by Gordon Bateson -
I see. In other words you are trying to reproduce the layout in the JQuiz, right?

The closest you can get in the Moodle Quiz module is to add the reading as a "description" question, and then add the four related questions as separate multiple-choice or short-answer questions and display them all on the same page.

Do you have a screenshot of the "actual test format" that you are trying to reproduce?

by Syed Mustafa -
Hi Gordon,
Yes, the JQuiz layout is very similar to the layout I am trying to reproduce. I have attached a screenshot of the test for reference.

I am also trying out adding html in the question description and see if an additional pane can be displayed with the reading text (but this will be more of a hack than a clean solution)

Cheers,
Syed Mustafa
Attachment TestScreenshot.png
In reply to Syed Mustafa

by Gordon Bateson -
Have you also considered the layout for tablet computers and smartphones?
What would be a "clean solution" for such devices?

by Syed Mustafa -
Hi Gordon,
The actual test (for which my course is designed) is conducted on desktop computers and as such I am not overly concerned with the layout on tablet and mobile devices. However from a functional perspective, I think the layout should just scale down (shrink) in width while retaining the dual-pane display in both tablet and mobile viewports.

Cheers,
Syed Mustafa
In reply to Syed Mustafa

by agn 01 -
Hi Syed,

Sorry for this late answer.
I think you can do what you want to do (if I have well understood) with the secret tip that you can find in undoc.txt:
"Pressing Control+Shift+Z will insert the following code into the current textbox:
(div style="display: none;" class="HiddenReading")(/div)
    [Note: < and > have been replaced by ( and ) otherwise the code would not be displayed in the message]
If any text is selected at the time of pressing the keys, it will be enclosed in the div. This is only useful in the Question field of JQuiz. Anything enclosed within this div will be shown in the reading text div when the question is displayed, enabling you to provide individual reading texts for each question. If you are using this, please note that the Show All Questions button will be hidden as soon as such a reading text is displayed, to avoid confusion, and don't forget to check the checkbox on the Reading Text screen to include a reading, otherwise there will be no reading text box in which to show the text. "
I hope it helps.

Cheers.
Agnès Simonet