Future of Dialogue

Future of Dialogue

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is anybody still working on dialogue? I notice Ray is no longer enrolled in this course and there has been no updates to the code since June of last year.

As we use this module quite a bit I would be happy to pick up the maintenance on this module just to keep it alive. I don't want to tread on anybody's toes though smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Future of Dialogue

by Robert Brenstein -
Keeping the current module alive would be a nice contribution for all those still using it.

We are using Dialogue in ways that not suitable for messaging, and I started working on Dialogue TNG - the-next-generation - module which would work more like forums do and allow more control over the activity. However, I don't forsee making a serious progress with that until I am done with listing courses in multiple categories, hence I was even hesitant to mention this so publically.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Ernesto Gaston Pacheco -
Robert, this are very good news (Dialog TNG smile).  I have tried to use the messaging moule as Dialog and they simply are two different tools though they overlap in some functionality. Different as they are the two modules are relevant and It will be great to see them both continue evolving with Moodle!!

by Paul Nijbakker -

We have decided to replace Dialogue with the Mail module which is similar but with a slightly broader functionality (e.g. messages can be sent to multiple users selected from a list).

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Paul Nijbakker -
Unfortunately, the Mail module is not (yet) compatible with Moodle 1.6. I wonder if anyone would be interested in updating it.

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just to update - I am currently maintaining Dialogue just to keep it going rather than updating it. I spoke to Martin about this and he is quite clear that Messaging is the way forward as he feels that to support both would cause confusion to others. He did also say that he would be positive about the possibility of enhancing Messaging to encompass the functionality we miss in Dialogue. This is clearly the way forward and the best use of effort. A lot of this may well apply to the Mail module as well.

Having said that, I will continue to keep Dialogue up to date as long as a reasonable number of people still need it.

by Mike Jackson -
I am not sure how messaging replaces the dialogue function. I find that the way a dialogue can be set up for teacher student "conversations" is very useful.
In reply to Mike Jackson

by Howard Miller -
I agree.

FYI: I spoke to Martin about this, and his view is that to have both functions in Moodle would be confusing for users. Like it or not, Dialogue was never actually intended to be anything other than an optional module.

He did also say, that there could/should be more developments of Messaging and this could well mean that an aspect of it becomes more like Dialogue. Then we can finally lay Dialogue to rest!

by Greg Jeffrey -
Hi - it seems a pity about Dialogue.  Unfortunately too many our students, given the unlimited access of Messages, would abuse it.  What we really want is the teacher to student functionality with the ease and integration that Message offers - ie the button on the students' details page.  When marking a student's work it would be really good to be able to send a quick "Well done"!  Until we can better limit messages it looks as if we will have to continue with Dialogue, but to have to exit the assessment area and go to dialogue as a seperate entity is rather clunky and in the end discourages this kind of immediate positive feedback.
In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Ger Tielemans -

I prefer to let the teacher make their choice: some prefre the clear structure of dialogue and do not like the invisibel message structure: I ner herad that they were confused, I think that is a perspective form a designers point of view, not of a nprmal user: they choose the moudle that fits their private needs at best, Students see icons and click on them, also not confusing.

So the more modules the better

In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Bruce Robinson -
A messaging system with considerably more control would be highly beneficial. The whole site On Off option is too black and white. A messaging facility within a course would be helpful, but whole site messaging is a nightmare with teenagers. Lots of chat, too little work.

by Mike Green -

Hi Howard - many thanks for taking dialogue into 1.6. It looks just what I need for our counselling service and private careers advice. Are you planning on taking dialogue into version 1.7?

We are about to upgrade to 1.6, and if dialogue is going to be current until at least our next upgrade I'll go ahead and install it. If not, we'll make do with email links. Messaging in its current form is a long way from providing what we need -  I want to be be able to lock the communication down to teacher <--> Student.

Thanks,

Mike Green

Sixth Form College, Solihull

In reply to Mike Green

by Howard Miller -
I thinks it's a definite maybe, if nothing else just to have a play with roles and database schema.

As I have said before it increasing feels like a bit of a waste of effort which could be used to improve messaging, but that's a whole different can of worms.

by Clinton Graham -
I've attached a diff which we're using to (quickly) get Dialogue to work with roles in 1.8+. I would like to see private communication which retains context metadata for our courses. Is there enough of a Dialogue constituency to modify Messaging?

by Clinton Graham -
There is also at least one change to the backup processing which is needed for 1.8+.

More consideration may need to be given to backup of userdata, particularly if only from particularly selected instances... I just needed the components without userdata.
In reply to Clinton Graham

by Howard Miller -
Thanks Clinton,

I've got a small pile of diffs for dialogue to apply and check. I hope to get to it very soon smile

by Juan Segarra Montesinos -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi all,

We're using dialogue module in our site (moodle 1.6.x). We've seen that replies are not correctly cleaned (i guess that ocurs when magic_quotes are active). I've make a patch that solves this problem. If you can review it... it affects just dialogues.php

Thanks in advance,

Juan.

In reply to Juan Segarra Montesinos

by Howard Miller -
Yes - that $_POST should not be there at all really.

My preference would be the attached diff, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet!

by Juan Segarra Montesinos -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok Howard smile

I patched the code seeing that optional_param() function smile I haven't tested your patch yet, but i'll do smile

There's another problem with the module. Problem arises when you're in separate group mode and a student is on more than one group. I've modified the module in order to make it work. I'll send the new version once i've some spare time (bufff... much work smile).

Here we're using your module since long time ago and it's really, really helpful. Thanks for your great work smile

Juan.