Adaptable Theme for Moodle 11.x

Adaptable Theme for Moodle 11.x

by Dominic Mayerhofer -
Number of replies: 22

Hi everybody!

I'm using Moodle 10.x and the Adaptable Theme plug in (3.10.1.2 (2021022302)).

Does anyone know, when there will be a version for Moodle 11.x?

Thank you and all the best,

Dom

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dominic Mayerhofer

Re: Adaptable Theme for Moodle 11.x

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
No date planned at the moment for the Moodle 3.11 version.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Dominic Mayerhofer -
Alright.. Thanks!

Would you recommend another solution or just wait?

I don't want the gap between the moodle versions getting too big ;)

Thank you!

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I have an answer, but that would probably be against the forum rules. I'm not really the person to ask about recommending another solution that is not mine.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
As I'm not involved, so hopefully not breaching forum advertising rules, I suspect the answer Gareth can't provide is that one option would be to contract him and support the work to upgrade and test to 3.11, thus raising the priority of that work.
Another option would be to install it on a test 3.11 site and identify what the actual bugs/changes required are and contribute code changes for Gareth to review and pull into a 3.11.
There are lots of ways to assist and support an open source project like the Adaptable theme smile

If you do consider an alternative theme, you should always bear in mind that the same thing could happen to that theme at another core upgrade in future. The only themes guaranteed to be available on release of a core upgrade are the ones contained in core. Anything else (whether community or commercial) relies on the time commitments of the theme developer.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Vadim Tabunshchik -
Picture of Core developers
Hi, theme Adaptable 3.10.1.3 works properly on the my site (Moodle version 3.11+), only need to fix the code in several places wink
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Vadim Tabunshchik

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Good news smile

But if Adaptable code as to be fixed for Moodle 3.11, it would be very useful that you share needed changes, so that they can be made by others. And perhaps integrated by Gareth...

Séverin
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Joanne Tucker -

Yes, sharing the changes would be very helpful!  I'm also keen on getting Adaptable working for Moodle 3.11.  I'm going to try and fix and will share if successful, but am new to the Moodle environment so it might take me a while.  In the meantime, here are the three errors that I've first come across (with Adaptable v 3.10.1.2 and Moodle 3.11):

Warning: Declaration of theme_adaptable\output\core_renderer_toolbox::notification($message, $classes = 'notifyprob...') should be compatible with core_renderer::notification($message, $type = NULL, $closebutton = true) in C:\wamp64\www\moodle\theme\adaptable\classes\output\core_renderer.php on line 967 

Warning: Declaration of theme_adaptable\output\core_renderer_toolbox::blocks_for_region($region) should be compatible with core_renderer::blocks_for_region($region, $fakeblocksonly = false) in C:\wamp64\www\moodle\theme\adaptable\classes\output\core_renderer.php on line 3158 

Warning: Declaration of theme_adaptable\output\core_renderer_toolbox::blocks($region, $classes = Array, $tag = 'aside') should be compatible with core_renderer::blocks($region, $classes = Array, $tag = 'aside', $fakeblocksonly = false) in C:\wamp64\www\moodle\theme\adaptable\classes\output\core_renderer.php on line 3201

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joanne Tucker

by Joanne Tucker -

Well ... those errors were very easy to fix.  Details as follows:

FILE: \adaptable\classes\output\core_renderer_toolbox.php

• update line 967 to include new parameter:

public function notification($message, $classes = 'notifyproblem', $closebutton = true) {

• update line 3158 to include new parameter:

public function blocks_for_region($region, $fakeblocksonly = false) {

• update line 3201 to include new parameter:

public function blocks($region, $classes = array(), $tag = 'aside', $fakeblocksonly = false) {

by Melanie Hoag -

Dear Joanne,

Thank you for sharing and the modifications removed the debug error messages we were receiving. I'm currently testing Moodle 3.11 with a small collection of additional plugins and themes - including Adaptable 3.10 - prior to our upgrade/update next week.

Best,

Melanie

In reply to Melanie Hoag

by Joanne Tucker -
Hi Melanie,

Hope your upgrade goes well. Will be interested to see if you encounter (and fix) any other Adaptable issues.

by Joanne Tucker -
There is also a warning message "course_section_cm_completion is deprecated and is being replaced by the activity_information output component.". A quick and easy (partial?) patch is to apply this change to \classes\output\core\course_renderer.php:

https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll/commit/ddc6f62bf77335473c99593480df374b45ae3e6f

by Olivier Valentin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

I have the same messages for toolbox renderer.
I don't know if it could be the source of this problem, but I also noticed a problem with assign activity when a plagiarism tool is enabled. I'm using Compilatio, and that's very weird : the container for this tool appears above my banner ! Usually, plagiarism tool appears just before the table showing all uploads for assign.  It doesn't seem to come from Compilatio, for it works fine with Boost for example.

I'm working under Moodle 3.10.

Olivier

In reply to Olivier Valentin

by Joanne Tucker -
The depreciation warning seems relatively easy to fix (see the link I posted previously) but I'm a bit wary about tinkering with the theme any further since I'm not sure what else might be lurking! I also had a strange error with an existing block plug-in so have decided to step back from tinkering any further with Adaptable for now. Shame, since I think it's an excellent theme.

by Gareth J Barnard -
To comment on "Shame, since I think it's an excellent theme". Adaptable is a complex theme that has evolved over time to have a substantial amount of functionality from many people, including myself. There are places where there is code that needs to be addressed because it does something but then nothing with the result = pointless. Moodle core changes and so, combined with bug fixing, the maintenance takes time. I certainly have the capability and knowledge to undertake this and indeed, move Adaptable forwards to the next level in terms of code quality. However, there is only so much I can do for free. I'm already maintaining other plugins and moderating here, all of which I wish to continue with. The other plugins are easier to maintain because for the most part, its my code, so I know my way around. It might be the case that circumstances change and I get a request with funding for a M4.1 version (for example), then I'll update the theme and ask that what I've done is shared with the community. This is not a commercial sales pitch or blackmail, I'm just explaining the current situation for me.

by Joanne Tucker -
Thanks, Gareth. I do understand your situation and appreciate all the work you've put into Adaptable Theme to date (and all the other plugins you maintain). I do hope you are offered funding to upgrade this code. In the meantime, I might continue to tinker and share any findings, in case others find them useful.

Would it be inappropriate to suggest some sort of crowd funding to update this theme, if you don't get corporate sponsorship? It seems that there are other forum members also interested in this plug-in, maybe even enough to make it happen.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Joanne,

In the past crowd funding has been used for the Essential theme to support updates to it. Pragmatically, I'm far more technically skilled than business, so whilst I am able to manage what I do, orchestrating crowd-funding is on the edge of my skill set and not something I'd be good at.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Niall Sheehan -
We are all grateful that you took over while the world deals with COVID. Hopefully the school that had been developing and maintaining Adaptable will be able to return to classes and continue the work on this theme. Completely understand the amount of work needed and time. I don't think it's unreasonable to request funding to get the work done as an individual doing the work. We ask about 3.11 because our bosses ask about it. ;) The work I've put in to making adaptable do what we need for multiple sites is huge, the thought of starting over isn't something we want to think about, should we need to go with something else. The question about 3.11 comes up as we're all trying to figure out what the road ahead looks like. Cheers and thank you for all you've done to keep the project moving forward.
In reply to Niall Sheehan

by Gareth J Barnard -
Thank you for your words Niall.

I highly much doubt that the university that was developing and maintaining Adaptable will come back to the theme because they've moved away from Moodle.

I take the view that 'all my mistakes are my own to fix', thus I intend to continue to maintain the plugins that I've written from scratch where the majority of the code is mine. So, keeping at least one theme and course format alive (as they help me to maintain my skills), and more, so at the time of typing: Foundation, Collapsed Topics, Grid, Theme Selector and SynHi. There is a reasonable amount of my code in Adaptable, so if you do find a bug with code I've written there, then I will investigate and almost certainly, fix. There is of course, the forked version (the long story that has already been stated), which has some of my code too (as its allowed to) but not (I believe and to the best of my knowledge) all of the improvements or bug fixes made since the 'fork point'.

Gareth

by Melanie Hoag -
Greetings!

Indeed good news Vadim Tabunshchik! Are your code changes the same as those Joanne Tucker mentions? If not, it would be great to share if possible.

Thank you!

by Heleni Lindsell -
Hi Vadim, that's really helpful thank you. Could you point me in the direction of where you had to fix the code please?
In reply to Heleni Lindsell

by Joanne Tucker -
Hi Heleni,

You might be interested in details of the changes I posted on 30 June, above.