SCORM - Best tool to import word & powerpoint

SCORM - Best tool to import word & powerpoint

by Anass k -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I'm new to LMS and we have a database learning in form of word and powerpoint files, my comprehension is that we will need an authoring tool that also can import word and powerpoint files right ? any suggestion ?

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anass k

Re: SCORM - Best tool to import word & powerpoint

by Melanie Scott -
It really depends on what you are trying to do. SCORM may not be what you want. or it may only be part of what you want. Most authoring tools won't import anything from word. Lectora does a pretty good job gathering PPT but does require some clean-up. I have heard Storyline/Articulate deals with PPT well, also. I would not encourage Captivate as the imports essentially create images (not accessible) and to edit or change, it is a serious pain. Moodle can host ppt and word files. The question is what you want to do with them. If you want to track use, Moodle will report whether the doc has been opened. It can't track if someone actually read it, obviously. But you could put data from word into a Book and then embed H5P questions to test for comprehension. Or use lessons the same way.

If you are not already using an authoring software, you might try to figure out what you want to use the LMS for and what it can do before buying software. SCORM is kind of old tech, if you can avoid it, you might try. And this is coming from someone who uses/creates SCORM all the time.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Anass k

Re: SCORM - Best tool to import word & powerpoint

by Derek Chaplin -
Like Melanie said, it depends on your end goal. Generally its better to save MS Office files in a format that is natively supported by browsers (e.g. PDFs, video, audio etc). Viewing Office files in Moodle requires downloading them and opening the appropriate application whereas PDFs, videos and audio files are displayed by the browser and require no additional applications.
  • For Word files you can save them as PDFs to preserve all the formatting and fonts and tend to be much smaller
  • For PowerPoint slides it depends:
    • if there are no animations, narrations or embedded multimedia you can save them as PDF.
    • if there are animations, narrations or embedded multimedia, you can can export them as video.
I use iSpring Suite for creating SCORM packages as it is a plugin for PowerPoint and it supports virtually all the animations and features and is very easy to use.

Just my 2 cents.