Enable ClamAV antivirus on Moodle 3.11 on Ubuntu 20.04

Enable ClamAV antivirus on Moodle 3.11 on Ubuntu 20.04

by Gerlando Lo Savio -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I'm writing this because I found not obvious to make ClamAV work on my Moodle 3.11 installation running on Ubuntu 20.04. I hope this could be useful to others. 

First, ClamAV needs ~1 GB of RAM to load its virus database, so to prevent out of memory problems you need to have more than 2 GB on your server. 

Then, keep in mind that the virus database is loaded every time you run the /usr/bin/clamscan command, and loading it may take several seconds. 

You can work around this problem running the clamav-daemon, that loads the database once and keeps it in RAM, and then use the /usr/bin/clamdscan to runscans querying the daemon. 

Because of default security policies of Ubuntu, you need also to change a few things (Apparmor and ACLs) on your server to allow ClamAV to scan files uploaded by the web server.

According to documentation you may also run a scan though Unix domain socket, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work, so ended up using "Command line" as "Running method" for ClamAV. 

To do on the server: 

1. First, install required packages:
    $ sudo apt install clamav clamdscan clamav-daemon apparmor-utils
  2. Configure freshclam to keep your virus database updated:
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure clamav-freshclam
  3. Add clamav user to the www-data group, so it can read and write files created by the web server:
    $ sudo usermod -a -G www-data clamav
  4. Disable Apparmor profile for clamd command and reload profiles:
    $ sudo aa-disable /usr/sbin/clamd
    $ sudo service apparmor reload
  5. Set ACLs to clamav user can read, write and access the contents of /tmp sub dirs:
    $ sudo setfacl -Rdm clamav:rwx /tmp
  6. Lastly, enable and start clamav-daemon service
    $ sudo systemctl enable clamav-daemon
    $ sudo systemctl start clamav-daemon

To do in Moodle:

1. Visit Site administration > Plugins > Antivirus plugins and enable "ClamAV Antivirus"
  2. Click on Settings and set:
  • Running method: Command line
  • Command line: /usr/bin/clamdscan
  • On ClamAV failure: set it according to my need - I set it to "Refuse upload, try again"
You don't need to edit other settings like Unix domain socket - leave them to default values and click "Save changes"

To test your setup:

1. Try to upload a regular file, for example from the "Private files" page, it should work as expected. 
  2. Then download the eicar.com Anti Malware Testfile from https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950 (it's a harmless file used to test antivirus tools) and try to upload it.
    This time you should get an error like "eicar.com has been scanned by a virus checker and found to be infected!" - ClamAV works! 😀

Troubleshooting

I found it very useful to keep an eye on logs, looking at a terminal running sudo journalctl -f.

For example, when I tried to set up Unix domain socket method I saw messages like this:

clamd[16989]: Sat May 29 12:38:46 2021 -> ^File path check failure on: /tmp/phpFmIQN0      

Furthermore, when I tried to run clamdscan using  Command line method before doing steps 3., 4. and 5. I got messages like:

audit[16989]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="getattr" info="Failed name lookup - disconnected path" error=-13 profile="/usr/sbin/clamd" name="tmp/phpidtNEv" pid=16989 comm="clamd" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=111 ouid=33
kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1622286181.885:67): apparmor="DENIED" operation="getattr" info="Failed name lookup - disconnected path" error=-13 profile="/usr/sbin/clamd" name="tmp/phpidtNEv" pid=16989 comm="clamd" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=111 ouid=33
clamd[16989]: Sat May 29 13:03:01 2021 -> fd[10]: Not a regular file. ERROR

Average of ratings: Useful (7)
In reply to Gerlando Lo Savio

Re: Enable ClamAV antivirus on Moodle 3.11 on Ubuntu 20.04

by Christian Schmitt -

Hello Gerlando,

much appreciated, thank you!

Best regards,

Christian

by ken collinson -

That worked a treat Gerlando, my low spec server no longer locks out when Clam runs

Great work

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Eric Phetteplace -
This is incredibly helpful, I didn't realize how much the Moodle antivirus docs leave out, they pretty much only say "install clamav" and then the Moodle configuration steps you've outlined here.

One note for others who might be looking into this: if you are setting this up and want to populate the virus definition database initially, run `freshclam`. I was looking for commands like `clamav-freshclam` etc. but that's not it. Also, we're on debian, and I'm pretty sure the only package needed is "clamav" (which includes freshclam) if you're not using it as a daemon.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)