How to convert a bundle of Videos automatically in H5P?

How to convert a bundle of Videos automatically in H5P?

by Florian Musil -
Number of replies: 7

With the newest version of Moodle H5P is integrated in its Core. We do have video courses with 40 ore more videos in Moodle, how to convert them all at once in to H5P interactive videos, instead of click two days for uploading the videos one by one in to rather complex menu of the H5P interactive Videos. I would be really grateful for a tip of some script or plugin.

Cheers

Florian

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Florian Musil

Re: How to convert a bundle of Videos automatically in H5P?

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Florian,

Are your videos currently interactive? What format are they in? If they are are standard video files (mp4, webm), they are not interactive. Besides loading them into an H5P interactive video content type, you would also have to add interactions to them which would have to be done manually. So I do not know that you avoid opening them individually. If you want to work on them locally, you might work with the Lumi desktop app and then zip them together to upload.

If they are already interactive videos they would be packaged as SCORM or Flash files. You would have to extract the video and the interactions and figure out how to combine them in the H5P format. How that is done would depend how they were package in the first place. It may be possible to make a script or plugin to do that, but it would depend on the format and it may be more work than doing it manually.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Florian Musil -

My Videos are Just MP4 Videos, therefor they are not interactive. I Know that I have to touch every video again to enter the interactions I planed with them. 

But my problem is, that it takes like 20 clicks just to upload (or create, if you want) an MP4 in to an H5P file in moodle, plus the uploadtime. So this means for a course with 30 Videos, I need two working days just to create H5P files out of MP4 Files, evem bevor I can start to creat the interactions in the H5P. Well, I am searching for a solution for an autamtisation of this process of converting MP4 into H5P.

by Daniel Thies -
I may happen to have a automated tool for you in development. I created and maintain a tool to convert H5P questions into Moodle questions H5P content types format. I started work on tools to import Moodle questions into H5P, but have not completed that yet. The main reason is the usability of the H5P editing process you are experiencing. Each content type requires so custom development. I your case it would be possible to use a content bank plugin combine a video with questions from the Moodle question bank. I have a prototype available on my site https://moodle.openlearner.org.  You can create an account there and a course to edit will be assigned to you to test the tools if you are interested. I will need to make a small modifications to add you use case.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Florian,

The amount of clicks and time you mention seems widely exaggerated. I've just created an H5P interactive video on my (local) Moodle test site in less than one minute and about half a dozen clicks. Of course, that is only creating a basic H5P interactive video, uploading an mp4 video, no editing etc.

I don't understand how you estimate the total time for creating 20 interactive videos to 2 working days. Can you please explain ? Are they huge video files?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Florian Musil -

it is like i said, the 30 Videos every one about 30 Minuts take about two days abloading in to the storage and configuring the name and the basics and than but them on thire right place in the course. it all takes allot of time and seems a bit burocratic.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
30 minutes! That's what I call huge videos. What is the actual average size of those mp4 files?

by Daniel Thies -

I thought of another way of doing this. You might consider hosting the videos outside of Moodle so that you can access them from a link. In which case you can copy the link and paste it into the H5P editor. 

If the videos are that large, you will have similar difficulties backing up and restoring the course if the are stored in Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)