Core upgrade for ATTO?

Core upgrade for ATTO?

by lior gil -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers

This issue has been bothering me for quite some time.

It seems that while other parts of Moodle are being upgraded and updated, Atto remained with little changes in its core.

On one hand I guess this is probably because there are other more pressing issues as well as "it works, don't touch it" approach. I'm familiar with it myself.

On the other hand, the YUI library, as we all know, is no longer developed and supported.

What worries me the most is the widespread use of execCommand, which have been marked as deprecated for several years now and could very well be obsolete in the near future, who knows.

Maybe it's already in the works, but I couldn't find a discussion here or an issue in the tracker. I'm worried we will be unprepared if any future browser upgrade will "break" the editor.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to lior gil

Re: Core upgrade for ATTO?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, Moodle is open source, and you are posting in the developers forum. If this really bothers you, you can work on it yourself wink (Otherwise, you have probably guessed the reason.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by lior gil -
Picture of Core developers
I tried, actually, a few years ago. I started to lay down a foundation for a variation of ATTO with jQuery (named if "JATTO", yes, I know, but that's the best name I came up with), but it was just a personal side project and I had more pressing projects to work on. And besides, I didn't feel that I could build a good enough editor all by myself  ☹️.
This is why I wanted to know if there already is something about it, maybe someone n the Moodle community who is more experienced than me in this area had any work on it.
In reply to lior gil

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I suspect you have identified the reason
"it works, don't touch it"
Add on to that that there is not a great outcry from end users and you have a pretty good argument (for the moment)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, except for all the bits that are really horrible. I know that some of my colleauges have recently submitted some improvements to some old issues smile Hopefully they will be in 3.11 and friends.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Writing a new editor for Moodle and doing it with YUI was a brave decision,