Individualized exercises

Individualized exercises

by Thibaud Hulin -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,
I need to create individualized exercises for an English course. It is easy to create such exercises, and possible to import them with a scorm extension. However, I don't want that the user has a random list of questions inside a collection. I want that every student has different, individualized and customized exercises. Like one scorm by learner.
Is there anything, features or code, that I can use to reach that goal?
Best,
Thibaud.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thibaud Hulin

Re: Individualized exercises

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Not that I'm aware of. this implies an automated SCORM creation tool, and that is a huge ask, I would think. I don't know of anything that would meet your goal here, unless you were to create each set of exercises yourself, or have a group of writers to do that for you. There may be something in development, but I would think that it would still be years away. Having said that, I haven't created a SCORM exercise for maybe two-three years, so it may have changed. 

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Thibaud,

Here are a couple of ideas to hopefully inspire you.

Option 1: Restriction by Student

Develop a new availability condition restriction plugin that would enable you to restrict each activity to a specific student. Take a look at the Restriction by Language plugin to get you started:

https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_language

Option 2: Restriction by Auto-created Groups

I have not tried this next solution myself but you might be able to have Moodle auto-create a bunch of groups of one student. Then restrict each of the activities by group. If it works, this option would require no development and would be reusable for your next class.

For more information, see:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/Groups

Hope you find something useful in these ideas. Please let us know how you ended up solving your challenge.

Best regards,

Michael Milette
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Good ideas Michael, but... there's always a but, someone still has to create the content for truly individualized learning. That's the hard part, I suggest.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Thibaud Hulin -
Hi Michael and Colin,

thank you for your answers. Generating individual exercises is up to us because we are working on a software that is doing this job, concerning working out on vocabulary. For instance, a script creates a serial of questions; questions are imported in moodle via a scorm document or simply in a test activity (gift format import?), and every activity is associated to a group when one group = one student. Is there the risk to increase the database of the course inconsiderately if there are a lot of students or if this is made regularly?
For the moment, I'm trying to ensure the feasibility of this idea...
Is there documentation that could help to automatize this work in moodle? I suppose that this must be done via a plugin, not an api.

Another way could be to link an activity in moodle to an external activity supported by an external plateform. In this case, is it possible to convey the obtained score to Moodle, that supposes to have access to the database and to data from a specific student knowing her/his ID?

Best,
Thibaud.

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Thibeaud,

How many students and how many questions would you looking at adding?

Databases are made to store and retrieve information. That is their main function and are optimized to do this. They can retrieve information very quickly, especially when it is a single record. Where I have noticed a more significant impact is when you need to process records in bulk which I don't think would be the case here.

As for storing in an external system, would you not just be storing the same information to another (maybe even the same) database server? Should you wish to investigate this option further, take a look at LTI.

Best regards,

Michael