PHP Accelerator Recommendations

PHP Accelerator Recommendations

by adam fisher -
Number of replies: 6
We are looking at a very large installation.  One that will average around 600,000 hits a day with heavy loads at 900,000. 

It would have a fiber connection and be on a SAN with two 300 gig raid 5 drives.  4gig ram, quad 2.8 xeon processors. 

What do you recommend as far as a PHP Accelerator.  I am only familiar with Turke. 

What other hardware or setup recommendations might you have.  We would have about 22,000 students using Moodle.

Thanks,
Adam

Utah Valley State College
Sys. Admin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to adam fisher

Re: PHP Accelerator Recommendations

by Julian Ridden -
Wow, now thats a serious amount of usage. And your server specs are deinately impressive.

From my own experiences I would recommend clustering servers. Especially with such high simultaneous users as your figures are suggesting, this might be a good idea.

I am in the middle of setting this up for myself. In my case 3 low-medium strength web servers and 1 top notch database server.

Not only should clustering give you a performance boost, but it will also offer you a degree of failover not available on a single system.

As for the accelertor. I use Turk and have no negative feedback to provide. I have been happy with its performance and stability.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
The problem with Turk is that the developement has stopped. As far as I know, it doesn't exists for PHP5.
I use Zend myself.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Dan Stowell -
Julian, just wondering: MySQL or Postgres for your setup? We're starting with 2 (Slackware) webservers and one (MySQL) database for our live installation.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Julian Ridden -
I am using MySQL here. Really want to move to Postgres for it's stability but am currently running a fairamount of contrib code that does not support it.
In reply to adam fisher

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Waau, that's the kind of installation I would like to put my hands on wink

We are looking at a very large installation. One that will average around 600,000 hits a day with heavy loads at 900,000.

How much is that in terms of average number of users logged in per day, or the amount of data transferred (in and out) per day?

It would have a fiber connection and be on a SAN with two 300 gig raid 5 drives. 4gig ram, quad 2.8 xeon processors.

What is the maximum throughput of the SAN system? I mean something like copying 1 GB to /dev/null.

What do you recommend as far as a PHP Accelerator. I am only familiar with Turke.

I also use turck, no idea about the others. The official documentation recommends it http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance should be OK. My understanding is that turck is recommended for 32 bit (Linux I mean) and PHP4. Any experience otherwise?

What other hardware or setup recommendations might you have. We would have about 22,000 students using Moodle.

That is a tough question to answer, sorry. These two current discussions may have some pointers for you http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=39903 and http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=40836