Painfully slow loading

Re: Painfully slow loading

by Heleni Lindsell -
Number of replies: 5
yes. I don't understand what you are getting at with this?
In reply to Heleni Lindsell

by Heleni Lindsell -
Hi, can anyone help me with my initial post?

by Greg B -
Heleni,

Unless there is information I am missing, your description is pretty vague - slow access can be down to almost anything..

My lines of questions for you would be:
- is this a new Moodle instance?
- Is the issue new, or was it working previously?

I'll assume you have created a new Moodle system
- Have you benchmarked your Moodle?
= https://moodle.org/plugins/report_benchmark
= Benchmarking would give you some background as to where the issue may be (it helped me enormously when I had slow performance, caused by virus scanner. of all things..)

There are many other posts and recommendations
- some include removing excessive logging from PHP's INI file, choosing a different drive for Moodle's temp (moodledata) folder, or PHP's temp folder,

Not knowing what environment you have, also makes it hard to make any recommendations (Windows, Linux, IIS, Apache, single server, cluster, etc..)
- some previous comments have stated they were in VMs on a desktop, which is always going to be a painfully(?) slow experience.
- So recommend you try searching for posts relating to your environment, rather than just a "slow loading"

Sorry if this is not a direct answer, but hoping that it helps a little, and good luck with your investigation!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Greg B

by Heleni Lindsell -

Hi Greg,

Please see answers below:

Is this a new Moodle instance? no

Is the issue new, or was it working previously? It has been very slow to load for a long time now.  I'm talking like 9 months.  The most recent change has been the addition of a new course. 

by Greg B -
Hi Heleni,

Maybe an inappropriate (ie: not possible) option..
- can you remove the course?
- This would be a nice binary "it was the course, or not" answer.. although my assumption is that it is not.. (so not saying this is a worthwhile test, but don't rule it out completely...)

Did you try the benchmark?
- It is equally possible "something else" (any other software installed, or updated?) is at the root of this..
- Perhaps/at least the benchmark would give you an idea where to look(?)

Is server CPU low or high?
- if it's low, then Moodle probably isn't taking up much processor time, so it may be disk or other activity slowing you down.
- If it's high, then you'll be able to see what is consuming the CPU..
Same for other resources on the server.. see if any are high / low to isolate potential causes..

Sorry it's vague, but hoping it's helping a little..