Grades showing in User Report but not Overview or with Course

Grades showing in User Report but not Overview or with Course

by Paul Vincent -
Number of replies: 8

We have an issue with students' grades not showing for some courses in the Overview Report, or next to the Course in their Dashboard, despite the grade appearing as the course total in the User Report.

The settings for the course and gradebook appear to be identical to those in another course which is correctly displaying the grade to the students - there must be something different somewhere for this odd behaviour but I can't work out where. Weightings are set the same for both courses (one summative assignment weighted at 100%, several formative assignments at 0%), and the Summative Assignment that holds the overall grade is a hidden activity in both (grades being pushed from a central database).

Image showing User Report and grades

Image showing Overall Report and grades

Any ideas for where to start looking?

Many thanks,

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Vincent

Re: Grades showing in User Report but not Overview or with Course

by Paul Vincent -
I'm hoping somebody can help with this, as I'm still drawing a blank. I've tried backing up and restoring the course, in case the db entry was corrupt, but the issue persists.

On the User Report, I've noticed that the only difference bewteen the faulty course and one that works is that the weigtings for non-tallied activities shows as a dash '-' in the faulty course, but as 0.00% in working courses. Is there a setting somewhere that could account for this difference, and might it relate to the course grade issue?

faulty course report screenshot
(course that's not displaying students' grades to them)

Example of a course that is showing students' grades to them.
Example of a course that is displaying students' grades to them.

Any pointers?

Many thanks
Paul
In reply to Paul Vincent

by Paul Vincent -

Just to add, when the assignment which is meant to constitute 100% of the course's grade is unhidden, it displays as below. Again, each column displays correct values except for the final 'Contribution to Course Total' which has a '-'

Showing Course Total as empty.

Is there some config option I'm not aware of that could cause this, or is it more likely a DB glitch?

Many thanks

In reply to Paul Vincent

by Frank Madison -
I'm having the same issue as well, did you ever figure out what the issue was?
In reply to Frank Madison

by jason du toit -
i thionk i solved it by unhiding the grades in the gradebook.
In reply to Frank Madison

by Paul Vincent -
Sorry for my delayed reply, I did resolve the issue with a workaround, but the cause is still a mystery to me - the course's gradebook is set up identically to other courses which display the final grade fine; I've spent hours going through each course, activity and gradebook setting and verifying that they're the same. I fixed it by making the course grade a calculation and simply making that equal the grade from the summative assignment activity. This is probably a better way to do it in any case, as we can always adjust the calculation if we needed to in future, but doesn't go any way to locating the cause.
In reply to Paul Vincent

by jason du toit -
i was also struggling with this. i noticed that the only courses not showing up had hidden items in the gradebook. once i unhid them, the grade showed up in the student's overview report.
In reply to Paul Vincent

by Amie Sasser -

I had the same problem... I found a solution, hope it works for you.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Paul Vincent

by Chiro Park -

In the Admin settings of your site (Site Administration/Grades/Report Settings/Overview Report) you have the ability to hide or show grade totals in the Overview Report for the entire site. 

There is an option here which will keep grades, that are marked as hidden, excluded from the report. Review these settings to make sure they are as you need them to be. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)