Using Quiz & Competencies to Unlock Assignments

Re: Using Quiz & Competencies to Unlock Assignments

by Randy Thornton -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers
Brigette,

The good news is access restrictions in Moodle are pretty powerful, especially with the various plugins that are available to extend it (https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=type:availability). You can build some complex structures and content paths with them. Unfortunately, Competencies has been mostly relegated to "oh, we have that too" feature list and has been really lacking in feature development.

Sometimes the best way to get something done is just abandon formal competencies and go with activity completions and badges and/or certificates instead. Even in those cases, though, there can be value for at least aligning all your activities to competencies.

You can use Tags for Questions, if your main interest is in analysis and reporting. I've been in two projects to do this: basically, you tag your questions with tags that duplicate your competency structures, which allows you to see what is going on at least. That can improve your course design and assessments. It won't it help you or students at all in awarding competencies directly though.

I love the eastern Sierra. I'm from Oregon but am currently in southern Rockies - I live right on the CDT smile Hope to get back out there soon for sure.