mysqltuner.pl interpreting results

mysqltuner.pl interpreting results

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Ken, sorry to tag along. I have finally installed and ran mysqltuner.pl, but don't know how to interpret some of its results.

I get some of what is shown below.  What sold I do  about query_cache_size?  It mysqltuner.pl suggesting that I  set it  to 0, or is it suggestion that I should increase it?  Same for query_cache_type, tmp_table_size, and max_heap_table_size.

I appreciate your help.

-----------------------------------

Variables to adjust:

*** MySQL's maximum memory usage is dangerously high ***

*** Add RAM before increasing MySQL buffer variables ***

query_cache_size (=0)

query_cache_type (=0)

query_cache_limit (> 1M, or use smaller result sets)

tmp_table_size (> 16M)

max_heap_table_size (> 16M)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Managing scheduled tasks & php load on server

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Very roughly... it tots up the maximum memory you have asked it to use based on the various caches and tables and compares that against how much you appear to have. If it's more it complains. On a server that does everything you do need to decide how much to allocate to MySQL, Apache, everything else. What you really don't want to happen is for the OS to start using swap
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rick Jerz -
Okay. Thanks for your reply. I will keep probing.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Rick - OP please ignore for now.

Don't be sorry ... but do start a thread of your own (refer to this thread if you want).   Very good reasons for that ... you host on GoDaddy?  OP in this thread does not.  And you already know hosting is a factor. smile

My 2 cents.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, I will create a new topic. It just seemed like a good time to ask. Yep, hosting is a factor. For months (or years) I have seen you mention mysqltuner.pl. It wasn't until this last month that I finally figured out how to get it working.