Can't Make Course Public/Available to Guests (even with all the settings checked)

Re: Can't Make Course Public/Available to Guests (even with all the settings checked)

by Randy Thornton -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers
Sarah,

Sounds to me like you have everything set up okay. This works for me in 3.7.

You may be the unfortunate victim of some random - and never truly identified - bugs in the use of the Auto-login with Guest. This has happened rarely from time to time in the last few years. See more about that here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-63154.

Have you tried this with more than one browser?

Another things to try is to turn on Debugging and try it again and see if there are any hidden errors back there. Something odd may turn up in that. How to do that is here:https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Debugging#Enabling_debugging. Set it to Developer level, set Display messages on, and then try to access is as guest from another browser. (Turn it off when done so users don't complain.)

Some other obscure possibilities:

• Is the Guest role present in Site admin > Users > Permissions > Define roles? Any changes made to it that you are aware of?
  • Are Site admin > Users > Permissions > User policies :: Role for visitors and Role for guest set to the default of Guest (guest)?
  • Are you using or have you tested this with the default Boost theme, as some other themes have custom login methods which might interfere.
  • Could there be some sort of redirect going on where the web server directs non-logged in users to the front page?
  • You have cookies on but are they being served properly? In Chrome, you can verify this Developer Tools > Application > Cookies, where you should find one cookie called MoodleSession, this is set when you first arrive at the site, before login, and removed when you log out.
Perhaps someone else has some other suggestions. Usually this is a issue of something disabled when it should be enabled, but as I say, there have been issues in the past few years where sometimes the Auto-login is not working in some cases and it has not been able to be reproduced so it can be debugged.