How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I want to have the link to Private files removed in the drawer menu. I have disabled Private Files, and I have set "Manage files on own private file areas" to "Prevent" for students. But still students can access their file area and upload files to it. - in the Boost theme, in Classic theme the Private Files link does not appear in the menu. If the students know the link to their private files, they can still manage their files using the Classic theme.

I am not alone, see Private files area available even when disabled, MDL-57551. According to this issue my problem is not a bug.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Bente,

It is a bug: they just won't admit it 🐐🐐🐐

Meanwhile, I use the Boost Navigation Fumbling plugin to control that menu. You can very easily hide the Private files. It is one of my favorite plugins.

To completely disable the use of Private files, what I do is make a redirect in the web server so that any attempt to use the url to [yoursite.com]/user/files.php will just redirect back to the dashboard.

Also, if you want to see what is in Private files for all users, I did a query to show that some time ago in the Ad-hoc contributed queries page.

Randy
In reply to Randy Thornton

Re: How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Bente,

If you unset the capability 'Manage files on own private file areas' (moodle/user:manageownfiles) for the authenticated user role, the Private files link will no longer be displayed in the navigation drawer in Boost. (It doesn't work if you prevent the capability for students, because users generally have the role of student in the course context, and the capability needs to be removed in the site context.)

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Helen Foster

Ang: Re: How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

by Bente Olsen -
Hi Helen,
Ha, ha, yes, thanks, that must be the way to handle it smile

Hi Randy,
thanks to you as well for your tip, it sounds like an interesting plugin, that could be useful anyway.
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

by Randy Thornton -
Bente,

Yes, as Helen says, you can remove the menu item by removing the entire ability of users to manage Private files. In your case, that sounds like what you want to do, just it needs to be on the Authenticated user role not the Teacher role.

However, you may want the option to allow users to use Private Files, but simply remove it from the Navdrawer menu. Maybe fore all users, but also to limit it to Teachers, for instance, in a block only usable by Teachers, not by Students. (This is a common request I have.)

In any case, the plugin by Ulm University allows you to manage the Navdrawer menu in many ways, including building new menu items, and is one of the first plugins I install on any site.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Randy Thornton

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

by Bente Olsen -
Hi Randy,
I installed the menu editor today, I wanted to remove a couple of other links too. It works really fine. And now I have even got some custom menu items for admin as well smiler
Thanks again!
Bente
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: How to get rid of the menu link to Private Files in Boost theme?

by Randy Thornton -
Bente,

Yes, it is a great tool. I add my most commonly used admin links to my menu too. Glad it is working out for you.

Randy