Problems with RecordRTC ogg files to Audacity

Problems with RecordRTC ogg files to Audacity

by KirK Chapman -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle Version 3.9, Windows 10 Build 19041

Students submit responses using the RecordRTC voice recorder in the Atto toolbar. I have downloaded these submissions and I understand that they are .ogg files. I can play these downloaded files using native Microsoft apps like Groove and Windows Media Player. However, I want to upload these files to Audacity software and export the .ogg files as mp3s- a standard function for Audacity. (https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/importing_audio.html)

However, the .ogg files that are downloaded from RecordRTC are not recognized by Audacity. I get this dialog box from Audacity, ‘Audacity did not recognize the type of the file-path.ogg’.  I have downloaded a sample .ogg from the wiki. This sample file was accepted by Audacity software and I can convert it into an mp3.

Is there something unique about the .ogg files exported from RecordRTC?

Attached is a sample .ogg downloaded from the Atto RecordRTC.

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to KirK Chapman

Re: Problems with RecordRTC ogg files to Audacity

by Sheldon Young -

The attached file is in WebM format, not OGG, despite what the file extension says.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sheldon Young

by KirK Chapman -
Thanks, Sheldon!
You're correct! I used https://checkfiletype.com/ and indeed it is exactly as you said.
However, I downloaded it right from the Atto submission but for some reason, the RecordRTC audio submission gets coded as .ogg.
I've got a workaround 'cause I'm too busy to dig into the issue. But I would like to know why this is happening.

Thanks again!
In reply to KirK Chapman

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Chrome records to webm and Firefox ogg, by default. From experience coding these things, you are not always sure what you are getting when you record via WebRTC. The browser should tell you, but it does not always. Usually you can get the mime-type, eg audio/mp3 or audio/wav. And then you need to figure out a file extension by yourself. Sometimes that is obvious. Sometimes not so. Safari recently started giving us audio/mp4 which is .m4a file extension. I would say in this case the RecordRTC dev's just set the file ext. to ogg because thats why they requested from the browser but they actually did not get that.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by KirK Chapman -
To your point:
"RecordRTC dev's just set the file ext. to ogg"
I downloaded my user's online submission audio files from Chrome and FF: the file types are ostensibly .ogg but actually, they're WebM.
Thanks for looking at this issue, Justin!
In reply to KirK Chapman

by Yew Hong NG -
Hi Kirk, sorry to hijack your post, but I'd like to ask how you enable the RecordRTC audio recorder in the Atto toolbar for your students. In our moodle, only teachers can see the audio recorder button, not students.
Thanks for any help.
In reply to Yew Hong NG

by KirK Chapman -

"hijack your post"😆

What version of Moodle are you using? Are there particular students unable to see the recorder? (RecordRTC will not work with macOS /Safari)

I'm using v 3.9. From Moodle 3.5 the default Atto text editor uses the RecordRTC audio recorder

In 3.9 :

Site administration > Plugins > Text editors > Atto HTML editor > RecordRTC

There is a note about capabilities which can control access to the buttons to particular users in particular contexts.

If you have assigned Roles, this may be at the root of your issue. However, I've not experienced an instance where that has been an issue.

Hope this helps...

Kirk