Allowing students the full time limit even if it extends past the close time

Allowing students the full time limit even if it extends past the close time

by Tim Ellis -
Number of replies: 1

I have academics running quizzes and would like to limit the window of opportunity in which the students can start the quiz. The problem is that if a time limit is imposed, then the time limit will never exceed the close time for the quiz. 

This means that if there is a 1hr timed quiz and the quiz is open for 2 hours, if the student does not start within the first hour, they will not get their full allotted time. Is there a way to limit when a student starts the quiz but allow them the full time allocation regardless of when they start? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Ellis

Re: Allowing students the full time limit even if it extends past the close time

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Currently there is no way to do this.

It would be possibel to get the desired feature without changing core Moodle code, but creating a new Quiz acccess rule plugin https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Quiz_access_rules

If, if you could find an elegant way to add this option to the quiz settings form, then I think this would be a welcome option to add in Moodle core, so you are welcome to submit a feature request (and even a patch!)

(I say elegant, becuase the Quiz settings form is already complicated enough! I guess that, if we did this, it would also solve the issue where people don't want students to start the exam more than 15 minutes after the official start time.)