Translate H5P items

Translate H5P items

by Moja Edukacja -
Number of replies: 14

Hi.

How can I (local/custom) translate H5P items/elements?  Built-in translation tools can't. How do I translate these strings so I don't lose work on the next Moodle update?

example:

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Moja Edukacja

Re: Translate H5P items

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi "Moja Edukacja",

1.- You don't say so but I suppose you want to translate those H5P strings into Polish.

2. Which version of Moodle are you using?

3.- Which version of H5P for Moodle are you using? The moodle H5P plugin or the H5P activity integrated in Moodle core?

4.- Please note that (on your last screenshot) the names of the H5P contents/activities, Chart, Collage, Column, etc. can not be translated, they will always be displayed in English.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Moja Edukacja -
Hi

Sorry for that... my fault
1. yes into Polish, but also other lang. too. AMOS translation toolkit (local) can't find all of these strings.
2. 3.10+ on BSD, with Adaptable theme.
3. 1.24 H5P activity integrated
4. sad Why ohh why... hardcoded? I am convinced that it is technically possible. I understand that (for that point) I have to looking for a solution in the base H5P project.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi

Upon further research it seems that the non-translation problem does not come from Moodle but from the H5P activity itself. From the screenshot below, taken on their GitHub, it appears that no-one has translated it into Polish so far.

I suggest you try to find someone knowledgeable both in H5P and in Polish to do the translation. More info on the H5P forum here: https://h5p.org/node/935

Joseph

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
There are many (1626) un-translated H5P strings for the Polish language.

Please see https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Translating_plugins#H5P_plugin

Maybe you can ask the AMOS polish translators to translate the missing H5P strings in https://localization.h5p.org/
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Germán Valero

by Joseph Rézeau -
Thanks for these useful links, Germán! I would add that, compared to the excellent AMOS system, the translation process for the H5P contents is not at all user-friendly.sad
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Oliver Tacke -
Hi all!

There's https://translate-h5p.tk/ that can be used for translating H5P content types if you are not familiar with how to use github. It prevents you from accidentally breaking the file structure, it allows you to keep translations consistent across all the content types, it allows you to get notified if translations get changed or added, ...

Just keep in mind that each language needs a dedicated editor who needs to check language translations from time to time to prevent misuse and to press a button to sync that language's translations on translate-h5p.tk to the official repositories - you can apply to become such an editor.

Best,
Oliver 
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by Joseph Rézeau -
You're right, Oliver. That site is more or less the equivalent of Moodle's AMOS translation system. I have occasionally used it and found it rather user-friendly.

There are, however, 2 main points on which AMOS is superior:
- for each language used in Moodle there is a translation "supervisor" who is responsible for checking the validity of the translations submitted by volunteer translators, especially checking the consistency of the terms used;
- when the submitted translations have been validated, the language pack is immediately updated and made available to Moodle users. Unfortunately this is not the case with H5P where one has to wait (sometimes for a very long time) for a new version of the H5P content to be released along-with the new translations.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Oliver Tacke -
I was not suggesting that https://translate-h5p.tk/ platform is the ultimate solution. If you re-read my post, however, you will notice that I mentioned it for content types which was the original posters topic (not the H5P plugin for moodle) and the editor role that I mentioned is what you call "supervisor". Also it is available now. Sebastian Rettig just took the initiative to set it up for content types and aligned it with the H5P core team's workflow. I don't say it's a perfect solution - and you could move all of H5P to use AMOS, the WordPress translation system or whatever yields more benefits - but that's something that should be discussed where the H5P core team actually has a chance to find the discussion, shouldn't it? After all, moodle is just one of many platforms that H5P runs on.
In reply to Germán Valero

by Moja Edukacja -
Hi

"Maybe you can ask the AMOS polish translators to translate the missing H5P strings in https://localization.h5p.org/"

OK. some strings I will translate, but I'm looking for a place where I can translate into "non-standard" / informal translation ONLY to my local inctance and requirements, not always in accordance with the canon and literal translation.

by Moja Edukacja -
Hi

Thank you.
I will follow the link
I will translate these several dozen strings personally and make them available in the project. Rather, they will not change and their nomenclature is mostly universal.

by Moja Edukacja -
Where can I find for example https://github.com/h5p/h5p-timeline/blob/master/language/pl.json this file into my own local instance of Moodle?

I would like to replace some translations locally with my personal local form smile

One more important question: How quickly are the translation changes made to the H5P githab Project in the Moodle releases? Can I manually load these translated strings without updating Moodle?

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The translations that someone contributes as a "pull request" to the H5P GitHub site will usually take little time (a few days) to be accepted (or corrected/rejected) by the H5P code maintainers. They have been very friendly to me as a new GitHub translator (for 'es' and 'es-mx' languages) who has made quite a few beginner's mistakes.

But these translated strings will only show up to the Moodle H5P users after H5P.org decides to change the H5P downloadable code for a particular module, and that may take several weeks or even months for some cases.

But it is worth doing.

One year ago the Spanish languages ('es' and 'es-mx') had less than half their H5P strings translated, and now we have +98% translated strings!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Germán Valero -
If you really want to quickly translate ONLY your local strings of an H5P plugin in a Moodle server, I think that you can do it the quick and dirty way:

1) Install the desired H5P module in Moodle.
2) Use it a little.
3) Use the Notepad++ Windows program in order to find and replace the English language strings that you want translated inside the files in your Moodle server.
4) Restart your Moodle server
5) Write us to comment whether it worked.
6) Beware that your surgically translated strings will be replaced whenever the H5P code for the particular module is updated.