PgBouncer Pooling Type

PgBouncer Pooling Type

by Mohd Shukri Hadafi Md Nor -
Number of replies: 0

Good Day,

Hi Moodler,

I would like to request a confirmation from the Moodle developer expert on using Transaction Pooling Type ( PgBouncer ) on Moodle application.

Will Moodle work as it should as using Session Pooling Type ?

Im now using Session Pooling Type but currently facing a high pool connection and currently planning to change to Transaction Pooling as it will release the pool connection faster than the Session Pooling.

I did some digging in google and found the below tracker regarding this issue :

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-60915

"This is a backport of MDL-60174. The rationale for backport is that MDL-60174 is a bug fix, but was slightly risky and had some implications for admins (the change is incompatible with pgbouncer + transaction pooling). We have never said we support pgbouncer, but we know it is used already. Moodle cloud is not affected (uses pgbouncer with session pooling which is fine)."

The note above copied from the tracker description and the below info from pgbouncer site make me to conclude that Moodle wont work properly with Transaction Pool. ( I've seen in db log that Moodle used prepare statement and also utilise temp tables which form the below table is unsupported by transaction pooling )

pgbouncer pooling features support

I would really appreciate if an expert on this matter could advise me on this. Can I use transaction pooling in Moodle 3.4 above ( tracker 60915 said fix branch was 3.4 above ) and Moodle will work as it should ?

Or keep using Sessions Pooling ?

Thank You.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)