Moodle 3.10 upgrade broke latest Fordson theme?

Moodle 3.10 upgrade broke latest Fordson theme?

by Derek Chaplin -
Number of replies: 38

Just upgraded to Moodle 3.10 and it appears to have broken the Fordson theme - Moodle 3.9 Fordson v3.9 release 1.1 (2020061800).

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chaplin

Re: Moodle 3.10 upgrade broke latest Fordson theme?

by Andrew O'Brien -
Yes - change of colours and layouts. I've reverted to Moodle 3.9.2+.
In reply to Andrew O'Brien

by Wynand Louw -

Yes Andrew, have the same problem after the upgrade to 3.10. All background images for header and page missing even if it is still in custom images. It is only one site, will wait with the other sites until we have a resolution for the Fordson theme.

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I am setting up a test site to see what's going on.
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Chris, I am not using Fordsom, but I recall that somewhere along the way something that was bothering Fordsom was also bothering my Boost, so I thought that I would provide some thoughts.

I too had problems when upgrading my experimental Moodle to 3.10. I have discovered that something in the preset file that I had modified is not liked. For example, my background image is not correct.

Also, something in my Raw SCSS code is not liked, and causes Moodle 3.10 to revert to its default CSS.

My plan of action is:
1) Review my preset file to determine what code is not liked, and which is.
2) Little by little, add CSS code to my Raw SCSS to see what causes Boost to revert to its default.
3) It might be a combination of the present settings and my CSS code.

I will try to watch this discussion to see if anyone else discovers solutions.  I will be working on this through the day (Tuesday, CST).
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Derek Chaplin -
Rick, I cleaned out all my CSS and tried using some of the basic SCSS settings and it just seems to ignore them. However I'm not very SCSS savvy so it might be something I'm doing incorrectly.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Chris Kenniburg -
Rick, I looked in my Preset file and indeed, the error log points to scss variables.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Chris Kenniburg -
It looks like many of the variables such as $brand-primary might not be used with the new version.

If that is the case I am in trouble building child themes that rely on consistency of this.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Derek Chaplin -
Ouch! Why in the world would the Moodle team do that?

by Chris Kenniburg -
I was initially troubleshooting with Moodle 3.10 and my other theme, Rebel. $brand-primary was the culprit for Rebel.

I suspect it will be similar for Fordson. I will try to see what variables are tripping it up.

by Chris Kenniburg -
New version of Fordson has been released that fixes the SCSS issue in Moodle 3.10.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Antoine ANGELINI -

Hi Chris,

I update to version 3.10 but nothing has changed. No more color or illustration on my platform. However, all the parameters are indeed present in the configuration of Fordson.

What should I do to find Fordson with these pre-update settings?

Best regards,

Antoine

by Ian Amess -

Hi. I have also installed the new plugin to no effect.

by Derek Chaplin -
The latest version of Fordson (Moodle 3.10 Fordson v3.10 release 1 (2020111200)) has restored everything as it was before. Make sure to Purge your caches (Site Administration, Development, Purge caches) so none of the old code lingers.

by Antoine ANGELINI -
I pure all cache and nothink has changed...
All parameters are in configuration data of Fordson theme but they are not displayed.

Thk for your help
AA

by Ian Amess -
Thanks. I did purge themes and then purged everything. Have rebooted a couple of times too. Still having the same problems. Am running moodle 3.10 and Fordson 3.10 release 1. Not sure why still a problem?
In reply to Ian Amess

by Ian Amess -
I'm using the fordson perception theme but have tried a couple of the other preset themes with the same result.
In reply to Ian Amess

by Noel Chidwick -
Hi there,

Any advance on this? I'm getting the same issues with Fordson v3.10 release 1 and Moodle 3.10. Fordson's setting are still there, but being ignored.

Noel

In reply to Noel Chidwick

by Chris Kenniburg -
Try changing the Preset as well as the Layout Chooser. Save it. Purge Cache. Then go back and reset the presets to what you like.

by Antoine ANGELINI -
Hi,
I did exactly what you said and found a problem. The change of preset allows to find the colors of the theme but it is necessary to use for " theme_fordson | sectionlayout" the Boost value otherwise it doesn't work.
I have tried all the other values and they all cause color loss.
Thx
In reply to Antoine ANGELINI

by Chris Kenniburg -
Because there are so many possible stylings it has become an issue to support every scenario. I can tell you that if you choose all the defaults with the Perception Preset that it works in Moodle 310. After that, not every main Preset works with every possible setup. For instance, the ELearning preset is made to work with the fullscreen background image Layout Chooser.

This theme evolved as we tried different things so it has a ton of settings. In looking back, we should have limited some of the options.

by Noel Chidwick -

Chris,

This worked a treat - many thanks for the prompt reply.

Noel

by Antoine ANGELINI -
Ok,
I understand.
Thank you for the clarification. On my 3 versions of Moodle 3.10, I don't have quite the same settings for it to work but it does work.

by Marc Poirier -
Hello Chris!. I reverted everything back to defaults, and still same issues. Pictures aren't showing up in the slideshow nor the marketing pics. and I have 2 colours. Blue and white.

thx!
In reply to Antoine ANGELINI

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

I have the same type of problem. Just upgraded (in test) a Moodle 3.9 platform using Fordson to Moodle 3.10.2, and upgraded to the latest compatible Fordson version.

I use "E-learner preset", and "Center Content / Overlapping Top Header Image" layout.

For "theme_fordson | sectionlayout", i used "Highlighted Section Title", and no background image was shown, and several other problems (alignments...) occurs.
But if i choose something else for this parameter (and not only "Boost default"), it works ok. It really seams to be related to "Highlighted Section Title" option.

When i choose it and save => problems directly visible. When i choose another value and save => OK ; and no need to purge caches.

Hope this helps to better understand from where problem come, and perhaps correct it.

Séverin

by Marc Poirier -

Add 1 to the list! I've been going nuts wondering why all my colours are gone I only have blue and white! Same thing with the images that relates to slideshow and marketing tiles gone, even though they show in the setup boxes.

Tried cleaning the caches, nothing.

I'm on 3.10 moodle as well.

Marc.

In reply to Marc Poirier

by Carl Byerley -
Can anyone tell me which file to edit to change the font colors in fordson latest version, Moodle 3.10 I am using the E-Learner pre-set.? also where do I find the file?
In reply to Carl Byerley

by Marc Poirier -
Hey Carl, I'd say, goto site adminstration/appearence/Themes then click on your Fordson theme.. then you'll have all the tabs to modify the theme. For colours, select the colors tab, and you'll have a lot of options there.

From what I've read on github and I think here as well, they seem to be focusing on the Perception preset. They might drop the other ones in future versions.

cheers!

Marc.
In reply to Marc Poirier

by Carl Byerley -

I've been in that area for 2 days. You can adjust colors on everything in there except the fonts. It is the text color I need to change. I tried the Perception pre set also, cannot find where to change the font color. I need a light color so it will show up on my page.

Don't know why the developers have to make the themes stop working when the make improvements. The experience is teaching me to never try and upgrade. If no solution soon I am going back to 2.6

In reply to Carl Byerley

by Marc Poirier -
Ah!! same here, I sort of adapted my colours around the font colors!! smile I would assume there is a way with css... I'll try googling it and see if I can find something...
In reply to Carl Byerley

by Derek Chaplin -
Hi Carl,
What text color are you trying to change? The main body text, link text, headings, etc? A screen shot would be helpful in diagnosing your issue.
Regards,
Derek
In reply to Marc Poirier

by Marc Poirier -
OK.. so after checking on github, I downloaded the latest version, re-installed it, updated the database and bingo!! my images are back.. not it's just a matter of re-assigning my colours and I'll be good as new!

Cheers!

Marc.

by Frank Schuenemann -
Hello together ....

please, someone has an idea for me how to change the color of the "lesson" icon in a course ??? I really cannot find this ... Thanks a lot !!!
In reply to Frank Schuenemann

by Derek Chaplin -
Hi Frank,

Its a bit tricky but you can use the CSS filter modifier to change the color of the icon. See hereGetting the proper selector might be tricky though - use the CSS inspection tool in your browser.

Of course there might be a SCSS attribute but I haven't found it.

by SMP Sabilillah -

Any update with the theme?
how I get this theme work on our 3.10+ moodle?
already download the latest one (also from GitHub) but the theme still didn't work properly.

In reply to SMP Sabilillah

by Derek Chaplin -
The latest version in the plugin repository works fine on my 3.10.1 installation. Uninstall current version you have, then install latest version from plugin repository