Participants filter

Participants filter

by Nigel Robertson -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 3.9 includes a new filter design on the Participants page. This is quite powerful and I can see some benefits for it when filtering by multiple characteristics. For simple filtering though, it adds a lot more clicking to achieve a result. Our most common use for a filter on the participants page is to identify students in the course. This was achieved with two clicks in 3.8 by selecting the filter drop down and then choosing 'Student'. In 3.9 this requires five clicks to achieve - Select the data filter field, select the 'Roles' data type, select the Roles input field, select Student, select Apply filters.

It would be good to be able to set defaults for this filter so that a commonly used search was quickly available to users. For our site this would be Role/Students so a teacher wanting to just see the students in their course would only have to select Apply Filters. If they want any other search then they would go through the process as normal.

I haven't been able to find any settings for this in Site Administration. Should I be able to set site defaults? Does this seem like a reasonable request?

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Nigel Robertson

Re: Participants filter

by E Martin -
I also believe a default participants filter would be extremely useful and if anyone knows an answer to this I'd be interested as well
In reply to Nigel Robertson

Re: Participants filter

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
This reminds me about the same discussion that we have had about activities. It is about the trade-off between more "power" and "simpler."

Moodle "activities" (e.g., quiz, forum) are very powerful and flexible. Along with this flexibility, there are many items that can be adjusted. What has been requested are "templates" that could be configured that capture your most favorite settings, and then can be applied as needed.

So, we see the same thing with the Participants Filter. We now have a lot of power and flexibility, but it takes a little more to get everything set. It would be nice to have "templates" where one should set up their most favorite filtering criteria.

I would like to see both. But until we have templates, I still favor having more features so that I can get to what I want to have.