Extremely slow when clicking the "save" button while submitting an assignment

Extremely slow when clicking the "save" button while submitting an assignment

by Hideki Matsuura -
Number of replies: 6

So I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 server and Moodle 3.9. I'm not sure where to look for what the problem is so this is all the info I have for now. When ever a student tries to submit an assignment it take at least 15-20 mins for the page to load, once the student presses the "save" button. The upload it self is quite fast. So I don't think it's a file size issue or an upload limit issue.

So it's that after pressing the save button it just hangs there for like 20 mins. Any idea what would cause this?

I already tried running it on the default boost theme, but the issue persists. I've also tried all the recommend php.ini configs for big upload sizes and it still persists. Please help.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hideki Matsuura

Re: Extremely slow when clicking the "save" button while submitting an assignment

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
15-20 min? I'm surprised that the request didn't time out.

What was the size of the file, BTW? And the bandwidth of the upload link of that student?

Your initial pointers are linked to the header of this forum, under Documentation.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Extremely slow when clicking the "save" button while submitting an assignment

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I've noticed this myself when I did not have  mail setup properly on the server. When the assignment is submitted Moodle depending on the settings will try to notify the teacher about that. If mail is not set up properly and that's how students are notified , it can hang ... at least on my experience.

In short , try turning notifications off in the settings and see if that fixes it. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Hideki Matsuura -
Ohhh thanks, I'll look into it. You wouldn't happen to have a guide to setup email would you?

This might be it, I tried sending a test e-mail and it just hangs there, as it does when hitting the save button on an assignment.

Edit: Ok. I used this guide:

Except that the settings are under Site Administration > Server > Email.

Also, you need to turn on "Less secure app access" in your gmail settings:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?authuser=4&p=lsa_blocked&hl=en&authuser=4&visit_id=637399238938533973-3707326564&rd=1

Seems to be ok now. Thanks for your help.
In reply to Hideki Matsuura

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I assume, you are trying to make Moodle to send its e-mail through Gmail. Then here's the documentation: https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Email_setup_gmail. Otherwise this: https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Mail_configuration.

by Hideki Matsuura -
Thanks so much.

by Hideki Matsuura -
I have it set to a max of 50 MB, but most files don't go over 10MB. We are located in Honduras so most people have 0.5 to 1.0 MB of bandwidth.