Moodle App for >500 users

Moodle App for >500 users

by Daniel Foote -
Number of replies: 9

We're working w a site that has >4000 users. They've requested use of the Mobile App, which means that we need the licensing for the users. Let's assume a 25-50% adoption. 

Question: is it possible to get licensing for their in-house server to cover the number of users that will need access?

Caveats: we are not able to host this site elsewhere for a number of reasons.

Are there specs available that indicate the necessary resources required for Moodle App w a large number of users?

Thank you in advance.

Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Foote

Re: Moodle App for >500 users

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Hi Dan

You do NOT need to purchase an extra licence to work with an on-premise moodle instance.

What you CAN do is pay moodle HQ about £3k (per year I think) and they will maintain one customised with the company's logo, colours, etc - that is programmed to only work with their moodle instance.

HTH

In reply to Daniel Foote

by Isabel Renedo -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Dan

For Moodle App Plans (https://apps.moodle.com/) you can self-host your Moodle site without problem. (Here are the FAQs of the Moodle Apps Plans)

Regarding the number of active devices for mobile push notifications, this is the number of user devices actively receiving push notifications from the site (calculated monthly). 
  • Moodle Free Plan up to 50 active devices for push notifications
  • Moodle Pro Plan up to 500 active devices for push notifications
  • Moodle Premium Plan unlimited active devices for push notifications
If you think it is going to be less than 500 devices at the beginning, you could start with a Moodle Pro Plan (up to 500 active devices for push notifications). Afterwards, you can check the statistics of your Moodle site and decide (or not) to upgrade to Premium

Kind regards,

Isabel
In reply to Isabel Renedo

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers
When did that come about...
When I searched this morning on google for 'moodle mobile app licence' it came up with a doc page from moodle 2.3 which makes no mention of this. You need to get google to flush that result from their database.
In reply to Dave Perry

by Daniel Foote -
Dave,
Thanks for the input. I must say that parsing out what/how Moodle App integrates into Moodle is challenging. I've been through the current moodle.com info numerous times and what I get from it is that the plans are basically to pay for push notifications--and that data gets shared w the partner or Moodle in order to provide those notifications.
Our situation doesn't allow this type of interaction, which is why I'm looking for answers.
Take care,
Dan

by Daniel Foote -

Isabel,

Thank you for that info.

We are in a unique situation as the organization is large (>4000 users) and disparate (>25 remote sites on a roadless system). They are also using an Intranet to connect many of the remote sites to the main hub (server location). If I understand all that you're saying is that we will not have any push notifications available to us, yet otherwise we can have "x" number of users connect by Moodle App to the server. Is that correct?

Given our circumstances, it matters little what level of plan is available.

Take care,

Dan

In reply to Daniel Foote

by Isabel Renedo -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Dan,

There are no limitations on the number of students using the Moodle App. The Moodle App is used by big institutions, including universities.

The limitation is on the number of devices that can receive push notifications, as mentioned before:
  • Moodle Free Plan up to 50 active devices for push notifications
  • Moodle Pro Plan up to 500 active devices for push notifications
  • Moodle Premium Plan unlimited active devices for push notifications

You mentioned multiple Moodle sites, take into account that subscriptions are per site. Please notice that for multiple sites, our Branded Moodle App is the more affordable option. You can have one Branded Moodle App supporting multiple sites without any limitation or restriction. Please contact us if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Isabel
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Daniel Foote -
Isabel,
Thank you for your replies and explanations. You've provided me w exactly what's needed, which is to basically confirm that what we lose is push notifications (based on network architecture, more than anything else).

Please take care!

Dan